Bronchitis......Does anyone here

by WildHorses 10 Replies latest social physical

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Know what I can take to stop the burning sensation I have in my chest?

I have had a cold for the past few days and woke up this morning feeling just awful. I went to the hospital and they said I have bronchitis. They gave me a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for cough syrup. I slept most of the afternoon and woke up with my chest hurting, especially when I cough.

Is there a home remedy for this? I can't stand this burning sensation in my chest.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka

I've had brochitis most of my life in the winter, I always have a bit of the mint tea and try to control my breathing so i don't cough.

STAY OUT OF THE COLD.

Don't work so hard that you get out of breath. That just hurts you more. Take your meds...very important.

You could try a pot of steam, that works a bit.

Have someone pat your back, so you can get rid of some of the flem. Then have some tea. Eat light, and stay away from ALL dairy.

.....and get better.

ashi

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi Lilacs,
    Hope you are feeling better soon. Take Tylenol or Motrin for the fever and pain. Drink lots of fluids, but not things with caffeine in them. Increase the humidity in the room where you are if you can.
    Unfortunately, coughing is a normal way of getting rid of the gunk in your lungs, so try not to suppress it all the time. Use your cough medicine when you can't handle the coughing or so you can sleep at night. Listen to your body, rest and take care of yourself.
    If you have further breathing problems or you get bronchitis often see your doctor again and make sure you are checked for asthma.

concerned mama

edited because I need spellcheck

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

((((shari)))) sleep lots and stay in! hope you get better soon, hun!

• Mulan
    Mulan

It may have to run its course now. Early on, you can do some things, but it sounds like yours is fully engaged, so to speak. Take TONS of Vitamin C, drink more liquids than you think you can hold, and sometimes Coke helps. I know it isn't terribly healthy, but it can make you feel better. Coffee too.....black coffee, no dairy, as someone already mentioned. Both (coke and coffee) contain theophillin, which helps to dilate the bronchial tubes.

I think at this point, the antibiotics will kick in soon, and you will feel better. I promote alternatives, but there are times when I say "bring on the drugs". This is one of those times......also ear infections.....don't fool with your ears, people.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Agree about the Caffiene, my wife is a severe asthmatic, and she always gets a hard five minute pat on the back, a caffinated tea, and a pot of minty steam to help her when she's hard up.

Trust me, I know, I've spent MANY nights up taking care of her.

Marilyn is right on.

ashi

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Thanks for the advise.

Ash, I have a humidifier, and now have turned it on.

Concerned Mama. I'll have to get Tylenol tomorrow. Am all out. As far as the coughing junk up. It's terrible, and has a funny color to the phlegm. I guess that must be the infection?

Mulan, thanks, but will tea work as well as coffee? I hate the taste of coffee without a bit of cream and sugar. I do however have lots of OJ, so getting the vitamin C will not be a problem.

Bea, Thank for the well wishes.

I am going back to bed now. The cough medicine they prescribed has codine in it and it makes me a bit sleepy. To bad I had to be sick in order to get the codeine. If I was feeling good it might be fun.(j/k)

Night all
    and thanks for the advise.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

hey Lilacs,

as a chronic bronchitis sufferer i certainly understand where you are coming from. all the suggestions youve received are very helpful. the only thing i can add is this....

you MUST massage your cough muscle. 1st to find it. the total area is aprox 5" across the chest, from just under your neck, to just above your breasts. it is slightly to both the left and right sides of your neck. with either your knuckles or your fingertips of your right hand, gently massage the area back and forth for aprox 1-2 minutes. you will KNOW youve got the right spot cause it WILL hurt. its quite sore from all the coughing. massaging this area is very important and will help you with breathing as well as coughing.

ive been a little vaguer than i normally would have as to its location since its been a while since ive had a cold (gratefully). and just as a disclaimer: I AM NOT A DOCTOR. ive just had a lot of experience.

hope you are feeling better real soon,

Kat
    Wounded Heart

Love by giving to & accepting others unconditionally = true, pure love

"When in doubt, do the loving thing." ~ 8yr old "Pirate"

• kenny2
    kenny2

Hi Lilacs

Get plenty of rest and I hope you feel better soon.

Kenny

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Ash and Marilyn,
    Caffeine and theophylline are both in the same family called xanthine alkaloids. Coke and coffee taste wonderful, but contain caffeine and very little theophylline. Caffeine has only minor effects as a bronchodilator, and is a diuretic (makes you pee lots). If you drink lots of stuff with caffeine you end up peeing out more liquid than you take in, thus you are not increasing the level of moisture in your body, which is what you have been trying to do to thin out the gunk.
    Lilac, the icky colour of the mucous you are coughing out often (but not always) indicates a secondary bacterial infection. The injection the doctor gave you should help with that, but it takes time for it work. The codeine works to suppress your cough and also kills some of the pain. Take very good care of yourself.
    Ash, if your wife has severe asthma, there are various inhalers she should be using to prevent trouble down the line. The medication only goes to her lungs then and acts more locally with fewer side effects. Untreated asthma tends to progress.

concerned mama
    (who is being a know it all)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit