Not Sure What To Do....HELP!!!!!

by lostinnj83 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PRBjr
    PRBjr

Hi Lostinnj83,

I am a former JW and presently a Bible Student. I made the following post to to a Christian forum and I hope it's helpful to you:

Can we speak to a disfellowshipped person?

Before directly answering that question, I would first like to look at the various ways Christians are encouraged to greet each other.

1 Corinthians 16:20
    All the brothers greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.

Romans 16:16
    Greet one another with a holy kiss. The assemblies of Christ greet you.

2 Corinthians 13:12
    Greet one another with a holy kiss.

1 Thessalonians 5:26
    Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss.

1 Peter 5:14
    Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace be to you all who are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

The apostles encouraged Christians to greet each other. Not only were Christians supposed to greet each other, but also they would greet one another in a special way that was not reserved for those outside the Church. Christians would greet each other in a way that showed warmth and love for the brethren.

Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that members should shun those who are disfellowshipped from among their ranks. The basis for this position is both biblical and scriptural. They go even one step further and instruct their members to say nothing at all to such persons unless absolutely required to do so. The scriptures they use which I will cite later can support this position.

The problem is the rank-and-file witnesses take it to a level that is purely motivated by fear and will run for the hills at the sight of a disfellowshipped person. This fear is inspired by the WTBS. If they dare to speak to this person, they risk being disfellowshipped themselves.

So my questions are: Does this fear violate Christian freedom? Can a Christian speak to a disfellowshipped person?

Two of the scriptures that support disfellowshipping are:

1 Corinthians 5:11, 13
    But as it is, I wrote to you not to keep company, if any man who is named a brother is a sexual sinner, or covetous, or an idolater, or a slanderer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner. Don`t even eat with such a person.

But those who are outside, God judges. "Put away the wicked man from among yourselves."

and

2 John 1:10, 11
    If anyone comes to you, and doesn`t bring this teaching, don`t receive him into your house, and don`t welcome him, for he who welcomes him participates in his evil works.

The New World Translation uses the words:

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him.
    The Emphatic Diaglott uses the words:

If any one come to you and bring not this DOCTRINE, do not receive him into your House, nor wish Him success.

Do you notice the difference in the renderings of 2 John 1:10 among the World English Bible (WEB), the Emphatic Diaglott and the New World Translation?

It is quite scriptural and consistent with the Bible for a Christian not to fellowship with an unrepentant sinner from among their ranks who has been disfellowshipped. However, does this mean we are to become frozen in fear when such person tries to speak to us?

What are your thoughts on this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit