Twisting Scripture vs A Literal Reading

by AllTimeJeff 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Great post not a captive!

Most theologians would despair of her. The Witnesses would sneer at her faith. She has made me think very deeply about what Jesus brought to us.

That is all it's about, faith in Jesus.

If theologians want some scriptures for that then here are a few to be going on with.

1 John 5:1 (New International Version)

Faith in the Son of God

1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.

John 11:45 (New International Version)

45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him.

John 12:10-11 (New International Version)

10 So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, 11 for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and putting their faith in him.

Acts 3:16 (New International Version)

16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.

Acts 20:21 (New International Version)

21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Acts 24:24 (New International Version)

24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was a Jewess. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22 (New International Version)

22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

Galatians 2:16 (New International Version)

16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 3:26 (New International Version)

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus

Ephesians 1:15 (New International Version)

15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (New International Version)

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

Philemon 1:4-5 (New International Version)

4 I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, 5 because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. Thanks said, it is all about a practical application, i.e. the faith leads to action rather than knowledge of the the truth as the WT would have you believe. It one's faith in Jesus that saves, not knowledge of His sacrifice. Blessings, Stephen
  • designs
    designs

Boy Stephen I think you've gotten in your 10 hours now, you can be considered for all sorts of priviledges at the Kingdom Hall.

Let's see: Mic Handler, Attendance counter, Parking lot security

Go get em boy! a Ministerial position is right around the corner

• tec
    tec

NAC - I have an Aunt just like your friend. She doesn't care as much about all the theology behind everything; she works to make sure the devil doesn't get to her thoughts and attitude; she just has faith and trust in God. Her answer to the atheists in the States was to look at American money 'in god we trust'. Now I could have argued with her, but her faith is so simple and sweet... Why mess with her? Really? She is a kind hearted and helpful person to all those around her, and her faith gives her hope and strength to continue to be so.

She draws comfort and enjoys the insight I bring to our discussions. And I admire and take comfort from her full-hearted and simple faith. In the end, it is faith in Jesus that we both adhere to, so what does it matter the different paths that take us there?

I think that's also my answer for literal or figurative interpretations on scripture. We might all have a different take, but we should all come to the same understandings.

Love of fellow man. Forgiveness. Compassion. Mercy. Faith (belief and trust) in Jesus and his Father.

Tammy

• not a captive
    not a captive

I am so sure of that too. Even if there is little to be sure of in scraps of writing we can touch--What can we know anyway without the spirit of God? Yes, surely in practice it will lead us to the same understandings.

Maeve

• not a captive
    not a captive

Thanks said, it is all about a practical application, i.e. the faith leads to action rather than knowledge of the the truth as the WT would have you believe. It one's faith in Jesus that saves, not knowledge of His sacrifice.

Stephen,

I appreciate your Bible references. In spite of scholarly doubts of the scriptures' purity, even if they are damaged, I value them. I trust that the essence of God's spirit still can effectively reach us through them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit