Twisting Scripture vs A Literal Reading

by AllTimeJeff 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Knowing that passions run deep on this matter, I have what I believe to be a very simple premise for a discussion of HOW to read the bible.

Terry has labored over the last couple of months to demonstrate (in my view, conclusively) that the bible is far from unaltered, and often mistranslated. These facts, inconvenient as they might be for believers, are nonetheless, a problem for those who claim that the bible IS the word of god.

This is not what I wish to discuss... Rather....

Jehovah's Witnesses come from a tradition of "reading in" or "adding meaning" to the scriptures. No one JW outside of the Governing Body is allowed to do this.

But why is it necesarry?

Because according to the GB, Satan, though not as powerful as Jehovah, is powerful enough to hide and obscure the meanings of God's own inspired word.

Thats the basic JW view in a nutshell.

For many other Christian religions and views, it all comes down to semantics, tradition, and interpretation. On those "testy" scriptures that often cause arguements, both sides will often say that Jesus and Paul talked of not twisting either scripture or its meaning....

Which leads me to ask, isn't it possible to "twist" the meaning of a scripture if one is determined to NOT read a scripture literally?

Isn't reading the bible literally the only way to NOT twist scripture?

Why can't individuals read the bible like any other book and draw their own conclusions, whether their conclusions are from a literal view, or, if they seek to attach symbolic meaning to passages. (not unheard of, as other works of literature frequently inspire the same kind of symbolic introspection.)

In short, my opinion is that the only remedy to the "twisted scripture" problem is to simply take each book, with each verse, and take it literally. This puts it in context, and gives less control to superstitious attempts at transforming seemingly harmless passages into something that seems as relevent as CNN.

Discuss.....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Twisted Sister Scripture..

http://splinteredsunrise.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/twisted-sister-christmas.jpg

Theres just no way to make it believable..

And..

Only one way to fix it..

Drink beer when you read the Bible..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hell Outlaw, what do you think I have been doing tonight?

Cheers bud!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey ATJ!!..

Cheers my Friend!!..

http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/637835.jpg

..................... ...OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks for that! lol....

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

AlltimeJeff - Jesus said to watch out for the bread of pharisees. So a 'literal' interpretation would mean not to eat any 'literal' bread pharisees may offer. Jesus, seeing his disciples were a bit confused, said spiritual bread.

Book of Revelation, etc, you can't take a book which flat out says its symbolic, and expect to understand it just by literal means.

As for finding the truest meaning, one can use interlinear online bibles, seeing the hebrew words, with english direct translation, and then how its arranged in a particular bible. (can do that with several different scrolls too!, like the Dead Sea Scrolls).

One scripture alone is very high chance of twisting and wrong interpretation. Finding many on the exact same subject, phrase, and throughout the bible, if one was twisted, but a clear one line of thought in harmony with them all combined should is at the very least what I would take as the message of the writers.

As for it being inspired, and by whom, personally learning what I've done by the above mentioned method, combined with a faith the true God and father will guide me if my heart is in the right place, I'm seeing things which make a lot of sense, which seem to fit too perfectly to be a perfect conspiracy, and either I'm finding the true message and/or what is true and what is corrupt. (some scary stuff and possibilites may run into if go through the path the same way I am lol)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Yeah EoM. Thats my point. The Pharisees aren't around. Looks safe to me.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I guess you've never met many elders have you?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Did Jesus say to be aware of the leaven of elders?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

So, if there were Pharisee's in existance today, before purchasing bread at the grocery store, you would (if taking Jesus advice) and (reading the bible the foolproof literal way), check the package and maybe ask the manager to make sure no pharisees work at the factory in which the bread was made, to be on the safe side they didn't slip in some of the leaven Jesus warned about?

If Jesus did mention elders, then we need to be on caution, if the bread we purchase, may be made someplace where an elder works at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit