Sustainability in the Borganization -- May's Contribution Surveys & new arrangement for getting magazines

by cattails 19 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

MM

Yes we had a very wealthy sister in our KH who had left a large portion of her Estate to the Society. The brothers, on whatever desk it is at Bethel that oversees processing Wills and Trusts, would call the family in the months prior to her death and ask that the money be transfered early ( as in before she died).

Lovely bunch of vultures.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I never really started moving up in my work career until I left the Borg. Was amazed at how similar the JW religion was to a business organization. The WTS is not the true religion. It is merely a religion organized throughout like a publishing business corporation with it's members unpaid employees.

Think About It

• metatron
    metatron

You have some good observations. I can only add my repeated question: if this program of cutbacks continues, what then?

Maybe the answer is that they live off their investments, in comfort at Wallkill/Paterson and that's that. They shut down most printing and pay lip service to the "preaching work". Not with a bang but a whimper.

I think it is now possible to see such an outcome emerging.

metatron

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

While I agree that the bigwigs have it pretty good the expenses of maintaining their lifestyle are chump change compared to the real estate holdings. What will they do with the excess money after they sell off Brooklyn? They'll put it into something else that will grow more money for them and/or use them to fight and settle lawsuits. More Kingdom Hall building and remodeling loans, mutual funds, land and building speculation, payoffs/hush money for abuse victims, attorney fees, etc. is where the money will go.

• oppostate
    oppostate

I agree with the idea of sustainability.
    And if the WT gets out of Brooklyn they minimize
    any chance of some crazed Islamist blowing
    up a dirty bomb in Manhattan and poisoning
    the surrounding burroughs, including DUMBO
    area.
    Good topic! Good comments!
  • blondie
    blondie

http://hubpages.com/hub/For-Profit-vs-Non-Profit-Form-of-Business

For profit and not for profit (or non-profit) businesses are similar in many ways. Both are generally corporations in which assets are held and business transacted in the name of the corporation rather than the individuals involved. To survive and grow, both need to generate or bring in more revenue than they spend on operations. Both are involved in producing a good or service for society. And, of course, both are managed and run by the people who are employed by the corporation.

In both cases some of the profits are re-invested in the organization (although laws, especially tax laws, place limits on how much non-profits are allowed to re-invest) either to replace aging and worn out assets (buildings, machinery, etc.) or to acquire new assets needed to expand the organization's operations (such as a religious group building a new and larger church to accommodate a growing congregation). However, it is the distribution of the remainder of the profits that is one of the differentiating characteristics between for profit and non-profit organizations. In a for profit organization the profits that are not re-invested in the organization are distributed to the owners of the corporation as cash. In the case of a non-profit organization the profits are used to provide goods or services to the group or groups the non-profit was formed to help. A religious organization may use the profits to help its members or others obtain food, medical care, education, etc. A university may use its profits to provide free or low cost education to some or all of its students. The point is that the profits of a non-profit organization always go toward supporting some cause that society deems as good and beneficial and not into the pockets of the investors.

However, with a non-profit, individuals come together and provide assets, money and/or talent to start the corporation. But, these people who create the corporation do not receive any legal ownership in the corporation and, further, have no guarantee that they will be able to retain control of the corporation once formed. All of the assets are now to be used to advance that cause or provide the service for which the non-profit business was created as determined by the corporation's board of directors.

The composition of the board of directors is the third major difference between for profit and non-profit businesses. In both cases the original board is created by the same people who started the corporation and, in both cases, directors are given fixed terms. Things change when it comes time to re-elect or replace these board members.

In the case of a non-profit corporation there are no shares and thus no owners of shares to vote. When a board member's term is up it is the remaining board members who decide to either re-elect that person to a new term or replace the person. (in organizations which have a defined membership, it is usually the members who elect the board but here each member only has one vote and membership does not give them an ownership right in the assets of the organization in the sense that they can sell it like a stock holder in a for profit corporation can sell their stock and the rights that go with it).

Non-profits are more varied. Some are pure charities which are created solely to give money or services away to those in need. Churches and other charitable organizations are examples of this type of non-profit.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

cattails,

I definitely feel as you do. The religion is only concerned about the bottom line and whether or not there is enough coming in to sustain those at the top. As long as they can reside in their ivory tower in comfort for the rest of their earthly lives, they couldn't give a rat's ass about any poor rank and file person. You made sacrifices? Too bad. You're eating macaroni several days a week? No steak? Tough luck. Maybe in the new system.....

MMXIV and designs,

I did hear that they tend to 'gravitate' towards anybody who they perceive has money. If you are a woman with no relatives you will have to beat them back!! It is rather sickening to think that there are predatory brothers who are counting other people's money and doing an inventory of other people's possessions. How dare they!!

As far as that 'wealthy sister' who left her money to the religion and the vultures didn't even want to wait for the body to be cold, I hope this sister had worldly relatives who witnessed this. How 'Christlike' is this?? This is just a testimony to the fact that religions are worthless and should be done away with.

She should have left her money to the government or burned it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

So the corperation has become a self perpetuating monster.

It wants more money so it creates more money for its own entity, craves profit.

The GBs are themselves mere executives to the control of lawyers and stock traders.

So nobody is actually siphoning off the dollars?

oz

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now, if only everyone would welsh on their pledges (pledging something like $2,000 a month and not donating even a penny), they would start spending money they don't have (and will never get). I personally would never give them even a penny.

As for the littera-trash, I am hoping apostates will hog all the rags and shred them. Do not return any of them, and do not donate for anything. That will not only waste the rags and create shortages for those who are serious about field circus, but it will waste their money. If Brother Hounder comes along, a fake rag placement of something like 500 distributed at "a special event" (never disclose what that "special event" is; if they can get away with that on their "One source says" on doctrines you must stake your life on, I see nothing wrong with doing it on justifying hogging all the rags). I highly recommend getting a $200 cross cut shredder for this purpose if you are going to do this, just in case Brother Hounder comes in to look for the Tower of Babel of rags.

• jam
    jam

A street person (a drunkard) approach me and another Bro. while we were engaged in the street work,

in front of A donut shop. He ask , the money you fools receive from these mags. and books and then

send it back to NY, do you have any idea what it is use for? We said yes, the world wide preaching work.

After A few curse words he said you fools have no clue , those fat cats in NY are living a life of comfort, why

because you dumb f----- . That was 35yrs. ago..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit