How many people have read the bible...Graphic...

by maninthemiddle 11 Replies latest jw friends

• maninthemiddle
  • asilentone
    asilentone

really? I have doubts about that pie chart.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

...at least for the people around me that it pretty close to accurate...JWs at least put more effort into reading the bible than many religions.

Maybe we could add one piece to it called "read the bible with preconceptions"

• upnorth
    upnorth

As my atheist friends would say.....I don't believe it

Photobucket

• upnorth
    upnorth

I've never had much interest in reading the Bible like I'd read a novel.

I'm not an avid reader, I've read a few long books such as ''IT'' by King. I read the ''Left Behind " series, except the last half of the last book. With the Bible I think some one spoiled the ending, so I will probably never read it cover to cover.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have read the bible cover to cover 5 times and piece meal willy nilly probably 5 more for a totall of 10 times.

I never read the JW bible cover to cover. One time it was a paralel bible with 4 translations.

Then I read the NIV and life application bible

After reading it 5 times, I called myself an agnostic.

There are inspiring things in the bible and confusing things in the bible.

The more I think I know the less I know.

If someone says its a bunch of rubbish. I can respect that.

And if someone says its Gods word I can respect that.

I read a lot. I have a wall full of books and nobody has explained what is going on yet.

Nobody has explained anything that a lot of other people wont call bullshxt on.]

From Dawkins, Darwin evolution to aliens, God and the bible.

Cant get the ducks all lined up on any theories.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I read the Bible cover-to-cover twice while growing up JW. Did anybody else's congregation hand out those "suggested timeline for reading the Bible in a year" sheets? Our congregation encouraged that for a few years.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who actually did it. Reading the Bible cover-to-cover was actually what got me thinking and asking questions about all of the contradictions I was finding. I'd ask my mom about stuff I'd read that seemed completely contradictory or just plain wrong, and I'd get a blank stare in return.

Or I'd ask about stories that I'd never heard mentioned from the platform, and that most JWs had never even heard of. Especially the gruesome ones. Like that fat king who got stabbed with a blade that disappeared into his fat belly, and when his servants found him dead, they were standing around trying to figure out just how exactly he was murdered...because the murder weapon was hidden away in his fat belly and all. Stuff like that When they'd look at me like I was nuts, wondering what the heck this little kid was talking about, and shake their heads slowly, going, "Er...I've never heard of that Bible story...", I figured they must be "cheating" and not really working their way through the entire Bible every night like we were supposed to be doing.

But yeah, anyways, I'm an agnostic atheist now.

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember jws telling me they did not do the bible reading since they were sure all the scriptures were considered in the study material over a 5 year period...............I can remember when elders assigned the highlights made it very clear they had not read them themselves. I can remember tricking so-called bible readers with asking what they thought of the book of Hezekiah and what did Matthew 29:10 say....

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Brizzy, a lot of my questions and doubts developed after I started reading the Bible cover to cover as well. There were three things that always stood out and NEVER could be answered by any Witless I asked.

1. God killing children with bears for making fun of a bald prophet.

2. Two accounts discuss when David took the illegal census and got to choose his punishment. In one account it says that the Lord wanted him to do the counting and in the other it says that it was the devil who incited him to do so.

3. I want to say it was in Judges where the man gave up one of his women servants to the crowd who then raped her to death all night. To make an example of this, he cut her into twelve parts and sent her to the respective tribes of Israel.

Nobody could ever give me clear and direct answers as to any of these stories, their meanings, or how they were at all practical. Has anybody ever actually gotten a real answer about any one of these from a Witness?

• startingover
    startingover

Although I think the chart was made in jest, interesting comments were made below it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit