Nun excomunicated for saving a womens life

by dissed 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

She was 'automatically excomunicated' for doing such a dispicable act. The dispicable act?

Read on....

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/15/20100515phoenix-catholic-nun-abortion.html

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

If that abortion would save the life of a cross dressing old pompous coot in a funny hat, I bet it would be OK.

• Scully
    Scully

But the woman could have died, and therefore the church would have lost two financial supporters instead of one.

Strange how a person can be excommunicated for assisting a woman to have an abortion that will save her life but a rapist who impregnates his victim is not.

The sooner women emancipate themselves from religiously motivated misogynistic oppression, the better this world will be.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "The Catholic Church will continue to defend life and proclaim the evil of abortion without compromise,

Then perhaps they should excommunicate God for killing David & Bathsheba's baby. W

• White Dove
    White Dove

Really, the mom would have taken the baby with her in death if the pregnancy was not terminated, it sounds like. The article didn't say how far along she was and if she was close to giving birth. If so, a c-section would have saved both really fast. Sounds like that wasn't an option in this case.

Both would have died but the church hates women and loves Pharisaical, misogynistic men.

This happened very close to my city. I haven't visited the church yet, but now I'm not so sure that I want to.

• Scully
    Scully

How ironic that the order of nuns running the hospital is called Sisters of Mercy.

Apparently the men running the show, including the bishop of the diocese who decided to enforce the "automatic" excommunication, makes decisions that aren't quite so merciful. I wonder what Jesus would think of that, considering his position on wanting mercy over sacrifice.

• Scully
    Scully

White Dove: The article didn't say how far along she was

actually it did:

"In this tragic case, the treatment necessary to save the mother's life required the termination of an 11-week pregnancy," Pfister said. The pregnancy evidently couldn't have continued until the fetus reached viability (24-28 weeks), to make it a win-win situation. Pulmonary hypertension is not something you mess around with. If the woman was instructed not to get pregnant because of the strain a pregnancy would put on her heart, to not use a reliable form of birth control (even if her religion forbids it) is appallingly stupid, imo.

• dissed
    dissed

Scully, this is why I posted this. I can't believe the church would do this. And especially when they have been under so much srutiny over the Priests scandal here in Arizona. A quiet rebuke, if that, would have been more prudent

It was a team of trained medical personal and her that made this decision with the patient. They had no choice. Both would have died. It almost seems like some thing that was done 50 years ago by a misinformed church.

• Scully
    Scully

This "automatic excommunication" reeks of the same stench as when a JW is "automatically disassociated" when they accept a blood transfusion.

The @$$holes in the ivory towers of the Vatican and the WTS don't give a flying $h!t about life, especially when it's a woman's life.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The Churches view is that if you kill the baby to save the mothers life, it is murder. (Think of a mother and child trapped, where tha air is running out - the mother kills her child so she can breathe a bit longer)

If the mother dies as a result of the pregnancy, that s a natural death, not murder.

I know - its crazy. They worship a sky fairy who has killed or commanded the killing of millions.

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit