When does a Jehovah's Witness graduate?

by miseryloveselders 17 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I live in a city with a few major universities. Last Thursday, I got off work, and as I hit the main avenue on my way home, I noticed people with their graduation robes and caps on. I saw parents ecstatic that their children were now adults, and had accomplished something both they and their parents could be proud of. It got me to thinking, about the different phases of life we all go through, and questioning where I stand in life at this very moment.

Tuesday night, I sat in the meeting thankful I didnt have to do the Bible Highlights, or the Book Study, or anything on the Service Meeting. It's nice to sit back and just listen for a change. I commented twice. Personally, I'm sick of that platform. If I never deliver another outline again, it will be too soon. I sat there listening to the Bible Highlights, and thought to myself, "how many times have I heard this?" The brother doing the highlights picked the easiest subject to spend 4 minutes on. I know cuz I've been lazy at times and did the same thing. Later on, I listened to the #3 talk, and listened to a younger sister explain why JWs don't celebrate Mother's Day, or Valentines Day. On one hand, I'm proud of her because I remember when she was an unruly teenager, now she's a regular pioneer fudging her hours. She's come a long way. At the same time, I found myself disgusted because she only presented one side of the argument against holidays. My brain was screaming, " where was Romans 14?!?!?!" What she explained to the householder, was what the WTS had indoctrinated in her. She doesn't have her own educated, conscientious belief system regarding holidays. She believes what she was taught to believe, right or wrong. During the Service Meeting, a younger Ministerial Servant gave a part on practical assistance in the ministry. He used the typical catch phrases, "joy", "encouragement", "beneficial", etc.. He pretty much followed the Ministry School Book word from word, occasionally looking up at the audience to make it appear natural. Later the meeting ended with a prayer, and the brother who closed the meeting prayed "for the faithful and discreet slave", and for forgiveness, "when we fall short", and "for the pioneers", how much longs for when Jehovah replaces "this system of things", you get the point.

It hit me, that if I missed all the meetings for the next year, I could pick up where I left off of relatively quick. The WTS isn't producing spiritually mature Christians as much as they're programming robots, or zombies who can repeat whats been repetitiously ingrained in them several times a week for year after year. When presented with an argument that makes more sense than what the WTS has ingrained in them, their brains sound a warning, "does not compute! Does not compute! System Error!" At some point, some realize as many of you have, that they don't have any beliefs. They've been trained to repeat someone elses peculiar beliefts. Many, despite being adults, are incapable of reasoning, debating, and thinking. Going back to transitions in life, our parents raise us to one day become self sufficient, and responsible adults. People seek education to help them advance in life, whether it be financially, economically, or just to make them more well rounded in life. JWs on the other hand, don't have that possibility. There is no graduation from Mother. An "independent spirit" is strongly discouraged. So its a lifetime of the Theocratic Ministry School, The Service Meeting, the Watch Tower Study, etc.. A JW never makes decisions based off his individual conscience, but rather makes decisions based on whats been ingrained in him, and what the local herd congregation and his indoctrinated family pressures him into.

Am I crazy? Or does any of this make sense? I'll be honest, I typed this with some assistance, or lack thereof from Brother Jack Daniels.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Haha! I'm good friends with Brother Daniels; Brother Cuervo is pretty awesome too!

Yes it is programming. I can see it so much now when talking to my mom. When I told my mom I was pretty much an atheist, she tried to use the bible to "reason" with me. I'm like, if I don't believe in god, why would you try to use the bible? Makes no sense. I asked her what she would say to someone at the door who is an atheist and did not believe/respect the bible, she had nothing to say.

Are you going to be able to stop going to the KH soon? I can't imagine how awful it must be to have to sit through that crap after you know it's all a lie.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When a person graduates from school, they stop going to that school. The same thing happens to some JW's. When they realize they don't need the WTS anymore, they stop attending their "theocratic" school. Right afterward, many graduate by seeing how they could have gotten out sooner and now can think for themselves.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yeah, but when you graduate you have something to show for it. Not just the battle scars and regret.

• man in black
    man in black

Great comment, this is the type of thinking I always thought about but as you mentioned it was not allowed,,,,,,, no growth.

Thanks for writing something I thought about for years, but dismissed because it was not "correct"

Oh and thank Brother Daniels also, I should visit with him sometime soon !

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

After a briefing on all the "new light", anyone should be able to pick up on where they left off. Yes, it will probably make you puke now. But, the basics are the same: Do more, give more, start studies, get to all the boasting sessions, and so on.

• cult classic
    cult classic

My sister always rebelled against the theocratic ministry school. She would say "what kind of school do you attend for your whole life and never graduate from?"

• sabastious
    sabastious
    My sister always rebelled against the theocratic ministry school. She would say "what kind of school do you attend for your whole life and never graduate from?"

Smart girl.

-Sab

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I always enjoy your posts, Misery, Jack Daniels or no.

I have no idea how you can stomach sitting through those meetings knowing what you know about the WTS, but I hope a time will come soon when you will be able to break free of those bonds.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

miseryloveselders

"It hit me, that if I missed all the meetings for the next year, I could pick up where I left off of relatively quick. The WTS isn't producing spiritually mature Christians as much as they're programming robots, or zombies who can repeat whats been repetitiously ingrained in them several times a week for year after year.

There is no graduation from Mother."

Oh, yes there is... and you have! Look at it this way -- the Watchtower fools us (teaches) for a while, that seems to produce some of the most independent thinkers around . And...we BITE !

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. ~Abraham Lincoln

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit