I`m talking to a group about JW`s I need your input ? please rerspond!!

by smiddy 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

smiddy I agree with TMS's suggestions.

In the past couple of years I have had the opportunity to talk about my JW experience (in informal settings) many times and have found that the things about the JW religion that are most interesting to people are the issues and policies that affect it's members day to day lives and their life decisions, not so much the doctrinal issues.

Issues such as the devastating and barbaric shunning policy, no voting (many don't know this), no birthday, mother's day etc celebrations (again many don't know this), the years wasted in low paying jobs by many JWs because of being told not to go to uni, and one that received quite a bit of interest was the fact that as JWs we were told we would never get old and die. Now we have all these elderly JWs, such as our parents, who have made no preparation in any way for their end years and who are now depressed and desperate for a miracle.

The doctrine/belief part that did get a lot of interest was the belief that god is going to destroy everyone except JWs who will then live forever in paradise here on earth. That one got many disbelieving looks and comments such as "that is bizarre". This shows the extent of the mind control the WTS has over its followers, the fact that we all just wholeheartedly went along with this type of teaching.

All the best with your presentation.

Hopscotch (fellow Queenslander)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi,guys, today I gave my presentation to a small group of people in our discussion group.It was an informal setting,I deliberated for hours as to how I was going to present it,and changed my tack more times than jessica watson did on her global voyage.So I decided at the last moment to give it in as conversationally a manner as I could,starting off with a brief discussion on the origin of the IBSA to my involvement with jw`s in 1960.Of course with a group like this,questions come up interrupting your train of thought,then getting back on track involves a bit of time,however I then proceeded to explain how I, at 19 yrs of age became involved with the witnesses.Of course then bringing up more questions.I then tackled some of the beleifs and practices of jw`s which are unique to them,which generated more questions and discussion.I gave them some facts and figures of witness acheivements (I tried not to be derogatory but gave credit where credit was due) but also showed how a mind control group can stifle the life out of a human being.I talked and answered qstions for a good solid hour,the end of which they showed their appreciation with a round of applause and thanked me for an enlightening talk.( It made my heart glad that they were so appreciative)

I thank those of you who responded to my request for input,much appreciated

mad sweeney a special thanks

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit