I`m talking to a group about JW`s I need your input ? please rerspond!!

by smiddy 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi, Guys,

I`m a member of U3A in our local regional community,in a discussion group with approximately 16 members and have been asked to give my experiences to being a Jehovah`s Witness for 33 yrs and now classifying myself as an agnostic leaning towards atheism.I do of course have some idea how to proceed with this project,however your input would be greatly appreciated.I have 45 mins to present my case, then questions from others present would follow.I feel this would be a great advantage to show what the WTB&TS is all about,without coming across as a disgruntled,dissolutioned,bitter person with an axe to grind.Which I am not.However I would like to present this "expose" if you like in a professional manner .This is to take place on the 26th of may.

Now I`m not going to be all doom and gloom about the WTB&TS I will be highlighting some of their acheivements,the biggest single publishing organization,distributing millions of literature wordwide in numbers of languages that exceeds Readers Digest.At one time they had 4 publications in the Guiness Book of records in the top 10 most widely distributed publications available.And also in the early years they were the fore runners of religous freedoms.

So please feel free to contribute some information that will help some poor soul for falling victim to this insidious organization smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Personally, I take the position that I was brought up in one of a large number of high control cults, identifying cults by their attributes rather than by name.

I don't see any point in only warning people to protect themselves and their children from the WT when the Moonies and Mormons are stalking them too.

Cheers

Chris

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I would start with a brief description of your upbringing in the WT and a brief outline of a few basic differences that separate JWs from other Protestants. (Nonbelief in Trinity, not everyone goes to Heaven, Jesus isn't God but the archangel Michael, no holidays...) I'd make sure to mention any eye raising or interesting details. Especially ones that might be relevant to your transformation from a JW to an agnostic atheist. Then I'd spend some time talking about that transformation. It may help to talk about your values. Not just moral values, but talk about how your values (the things you consider to be important) have changed while explaining your transformation. Then you can point out the differences the values of JWs and your new values. For instance, maybe you're a freethinking and the WTS discourages freethinking. Or maybe you don't like their authitarianism and info control because they conflict with your values.

To avoid seeming like a bitter person with an axe to grind, it would be good avoid words like "cult" and "mind control." Instead, focus on the details of their behaviors which make them a cult in your mind and the things that made you leave. If your experiences contributed to your current views as an agnostic, this can help your narration flow from one topic to the other along with the thing about values I mentioned before. By explaining the reasons for your change in world view instead of telling your audience how to feel about those reasons (JWs are bad, the WTS is evil, etc), you are allowing the audience to reach their own conclusions. Be sure to include positives about JWs and the Society as well, then explain why--for you--this was not enough to keep you as a JW. Or why the bad qualities overuled the good ones for you--which is, in part, about your values.

Hope this helps.

IsaacJ

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Replace the idea of 'disgruntled' with the concept of 'educated' in your approach. Think about the material you wish to present as if you are a professor laying out facts about the matter. Let intellect overshadow the emotion to make your presentation appear professional and objective rather than sour grapes.

Have someone listen to your presentation to see if it comes across as objective and honest.

Jeff

• carla
    carla

Thank you for taking the time to make the public aware! You need not come off as 'disgruntled' or 'sour grapes', simply telling the facts as they are is just being truthful. I know jw's consider it as sour grapes when one attempts to tell the truth about jw's. Shunning, blood, loss of many lives, family break downs, abuses, treatment of women, etc..... those are things non jw's have no idea about and are always appalled at. By all means do a quick run down on the history (pyramids, false prophecies, Russell, Rutherford, scholarly dishonesty etc...) and modern day jw's and their lives as well as touching on doctrinal differences.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't know that I would specifically avoid terms like "cult" and "mind control" but if you use them make sure you define them. You are probably better off using the terms "high control group" and "thought reform" instead most of the time. Black Sheep makes a good point about being clear that these intrusive indoctrination methods are not exclusively Watchtower techniques.

It is going to take some planning. You may spend some time on doctrinal differences between Dubs and Christians but you don't want to spend too much of your time there. Maybe something like this.

10 minutes: Introduction and upbringing in the Borg (don't say "Borg" unless this is a very informal group of friends)

15 minutes: Doctrinal wackiness, twisted Scriptures, and 1914

20 minutes: How 1914 is pivotal to Borg control/authority, Intro to Thought Reform, Hassan's BITE method (with Dub examples)

5 minutes: Conclusion, Spreading the word, Pimping websites (jwfacts, JWN, freeminds, etc.)

Please film this and put it on youtube or submit it to freeminds, if you feel comfortable doing that.

Also, check your PM's. I'm going to send you something.

Good Luck!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Black Sheep

Thank you for your response,but I feel JW`s have more influence over more people than Mormons or Moonies because of their door to door activities,on a bigger scale.

IsaacJ22

I appreciate your input and will consider your recomendations

AK JEFF

I appreciate your input

Carla

Iwill try to do justice with my presentation thank you for your input

Mad Sweeney

To do it like a public talk (although informally) {constructional}sounds like a good approach

Thank you guys and gals for your input & hopefully I can give you a follow up after the last wed. of this month.

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I feel JW`s have more influence over more people than Mormons or Moonies because of their door to door activities,on a bigger scale.

My family were the first JW into an area. The Mormons didn't arrive until two years after us.

40 years later?

JWs 130

Mormons 2000

Who had the most effective conscription method/message?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Who had the most powerful retention method?

• TMS
    TMS

Ok, my turn. You can't tell the whole story in 45 minutes.

1. I would briefly describe Pastor Russell's early fascination with "end time" prophecies and his close collaboration with the Adventists. (Please google or search this forum for Prominent Bethelite's list of all of the failed Watchtower predictions.)

2. Describe what it was like growing up as one of Jehovah's Witnesses: no holiday celebrations, no sports or extra-curricular activities, totally stifled ambition, no college, etc. Encourage your audience to sympathize with young JW's who are stifled, suppressed and held back by similar controls to this day.

3. Talk about the effect shunning has on families and teenage JW's who succumb to the "desires of youth." Emphasize the tremendous psychological effects: families torn apart, young people stripped of self-worth and familial love, family members who die as strangers.

4. Touch on the no blood policy. Show how it contradicts the so-called "sanctity of life" JW belief. Touch on the thousands who have died because of contradictory and confusing blood policy.

5. Lastly. Talk about your own wasted years, lost opportunities, estrangement from your extended non-JW family. . . .all due to your mindless adherence to Watchtower doctrines and policies.

6. Open the forum to questions. . . . . .

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit