What Are Your Favorite WT Quotes/Teachings? Most Ridiculous or Hilarious Ones.

by mentallyfree31 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reslight2
    reslight2

serenitynow!: Miracle Wheat too, insane.

Nothing at all wrong or insane with Miracle Wheat, except for the insane evil false accusations that have come about concerning Miracle Wheat!

http://ctr.reslight.net/2009/03/27/miracle-wheat.html

• reslight2
    reslight2

To me, the most ridiculous statements I have read in the JWs' Watchtower is that concerning the idea that they had the truth concerning the "ransom sacrifice" in 1918, and thus God chose their "organization" as his representative.

According to the modern-day Watchtower leaders, Messiah "came to inspect his slaves in 1918." (The Watchtower, March 15, 1990, page 13) According to this same Watchtower:

"Well, by then [1918], who had given sincere truth-seekers the correct understanding of the ransom sacrifice....?"

The answer given is:

"The facts show that it was the group of anointed Christians associated with the publishers of the magazine Zion's Watch Tower and Herald Christ's Presence...."

(One should note that in 1918 that although Rutherford seemed to be proceeding with his new "organization" ideas, there was actually no "Jehovah's witnesses" organization in 1918.) The statement given would lead one to the conclusion that the Watchtower today is not teaching the truth. How so? If The Watch Tower was printing the truth about the ransom-sacrifice in 1918, then what the modern-day Watchtower is teaching cannot possibly be true, since they are not teaching the same thing concerning the ransom sacrifice as was taught in 1918.

What is the teaching of The Watchtower of today concerning the ransom-sacrifice? The March 15, 1990 Watchtower answers:

"Jesus came `to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many.' ( Mark 10:45 ) But who are the many? Adam is evidently excluded because he was a perfect man who deliberately chose to disobey God and died as unrepentant, willful sinner."

The article goes on to say:

"The course taken by each individual determines whether he will benefit from Jesus' sacrifice. Like Adam, the willfully wicked do not have the ransom merit and eternal life forced upon them. As Christ said: `He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; he that disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.' ( John 3:36 )"

Thus The Watchtower of today would basically make all who disobey the Watchtower leaders [who supposedly represent Jesus] in this life as willfully wicked, and receiving no benefit from the ransom. (This disregards John 12:46-48 , which shows that those who disobey Jesus today will be judged in the resurrection day. In this life, the wrath, inherited from Adam, simply remains upon him.) Likewise, according to the present-day Watchtower leaders, Adam would receive no benefit from the ransom.

Now compare this with The Watch Tower of 1918 (August 15, 1918):

"When this ransom price shall have been formally delivered over to Justice in the end of this Gospel age, then, it will ... have been exchanged for Adam and his posterity, the world of mankind, all of whom will be immediately transferred by the Father to the Son, that the work of the Millennial Kingdom may begin. The ransom price is designed to bring to Adam and his race the earthly life and the earthly life-rights and honors which were lost in Eden through disobedience." (Italics added by me. See Reprints, page 6314)

Again in The Watch Tower of October 1, 1918 (Reprints, page 6337), we find this statement:

"As in the one man Jesus Christ both Adam and all his children will be justified from the original condemnation, that which came upon the human race because of Adam's disobedience."

Please note that in the two quotes above, from the early The Watch Tower in 1918 that the ransom is presented quite differently from that in 1990. In 1918 Adam and all his posterity are to benefit from the ransom. In 1990, according to present-day Watchtower leaders, Adam will receive no benefit from the ransom, nor will many billions of mankind living today that might be destroyed during the destruction of Satan's world.

A little reflection on the above should lead one to see that if Zion's Watch Tower was teaching the truth concerning the ransom in 1918, then what The Watchtower of today is teaching is false, for they do not teach the same thing. Of course, just because the whole world receives benefits from the ransom of Jesus does not mean that "everlasting life" will be "forced" upon them, so this argument is really a strawman argument against the "ransom for all." It only means that they will be given full opportunity to come into harmony with Yahweh and His Son, Jesus. Those of the world who then refuse will eventually be eternally destroyed in the second death at the end of the 1,000-Year Reign of Jesus when the Kingdom is returned to the Father. ( Revelation 20:7-9 ; Psalm 37:9 , 10 ; Matthew 25:41 , 46 ; 2 Thessalonians 1:9 , 10 ; 1 Corinthians 15:24 ) With The Watch Tower of 1918 I am in general agreement on this; therefore I am in disagreement with The Watchtower of modern times which would deny that Jesus gave his life as "a ransom for all." ( 1 Timothy 2:5 , 6 ) It is this "ransom for all" teaching that will actually vindicate Yahweh as not only the rightful ruler, but that his ways are best in all things. It is only through the "ransom for all" that all the wicked will come to know Yahweh. Psalm 83:18 ; Compare Ezekiel 16:62 , 63 .

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Great point about the changing ransom teaching, reslight2. I was unaware of the 1918 stance of the WTS on the issue.

I've copied and pasted the info into a Word document for future reference. Thanks!

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Young People Ask Book on Masturbation, (paraphrasing) "Try sleeping on your side to reduce urges to masturbate". I sleep on my side every night and yet I still masturbate quite often.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

This is the most ridiculous and hypocritical:

w55 7/1 p. 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit.

It was through researching this wt magazine paragraph which led to my eventual disfellowshipping.

Why was I disfellowshipped?

I completely agreed with the paragraph in the 1955 Watchtower Magazine above!

In Christ

abe

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is hard to pick, as so much that has been written for so long defies logic. The following is great:

Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ... Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any careerthat this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

• teel
    teel

Funny that noone mentioned the current generation teaching in this thread. I find this the most hilarious current teaching. There were funnier in the past, but right now this takes the crown. It just boggles the mind the audacity of the GB to give a common word a new meaning, and say that this was evidently what Jesus meant by it.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Teet - I will have to agree. This new "generation" explanation is so bizzare that I wonder if somebody was high when they wrote it.

-mentallyfree31-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit