Moving On after being a JW

by man in black 18 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

After leaving this religion has there been anything that you have done that is completely separate, or negative from their belief/control system. ?

Yet from a worldy viewpoint you make a difference,,, a positive stamp in some aspect of everyday life ?

For an example to get things started, one thing that I have done is trained my dog to help people in the hospital. Every once in a while I run into

a witness and get the "you scum, you left the truth!" stare .

What we do is very time-consuming, and at first I felt an unknown guilt for doing it, yet now everytime I go and help/visit some patients the

good feeling I get is something that I rarely felt as a witness.( 30 years)

So I'm curious, who has turned being a witness for years into a positive/guilt-free aspect of your current life ??

• Quandry
    Quandry

How wonderful that you and your dog visit people in the hospital. When my mother was in an assisted living facility a lady would come and bring her dog, and my mother just loved it. May you and your dog be blessed for helping the sick.

I don't know that I will ever turn the years of being a JW into a positive aspect of my life. I rather feel like I lost over thirty years and regret it very much.

I have determined, however, that they will not get one more minute of my life. If I see a JW, I have determined to give them a loud hello, smile, and keep walking. I saw a JW woman in a store a couple of months ago, and she asked me which KHall I go to now. I just said I don't go anymore. She said, "You don't?" I said I didn't, smiled, and said, "Nice to see you." Then I left.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Its wonderful isn't it to finally be able to be a worthwhile member of society and have a valuable input if we choose to... Loz x

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Every once in a while I run into
    a witness and get the "you scum, you left the truth!" stare

JW`s are nobodys in the outside word..

The only place JW`s have any worth as a JW..Is at a WBT$ event ..

Does a JW AssH*le`s opinion matter?..

............... ...OUTLAW

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Does a JW AssH*le`s opinion matter?..

Quite right JWS are proud and arrogant but they have derived that from ignorance, fear and mental indoctrination.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Oh, yeah, several things for me, dear MIB (peace to you!):

1. Began to surf the Internet... and, very soon after, post on it

2. Sent son to college (I mean, vs. "Bethel", which was the goal - ). Daughter followed soon after. Neither finished, but both are entreprenuers and doing okay... even well, actually...

3. Went back to university myself and ultimately got a JD (although I didn't pass the Bar - I might try again one day but it's really VERY expensive and time consuming... and I just don't have the same amount of enthusiam for it as I did when I started. I've only read one fictional novel since graduating in 2008, that's how "tired" I grew of reading...);

4. I went back to singing. I was in a band and dance troupe in my mid-teens to early 20's (we opened for acts like Ike & Tina Turner, Norman Connors, K.C./Sunshine Band). Currently, I am a member of three (3) musical bands:

a. Bob Finston and Harem (named thus because it was all women plus Bob at one time. I am co-front with 3-4 others and we do standards and classic oldies (60's-70s). Some of my songs include Beatles "Yesterday," Gladys Knight "Midnight Train to Georgia," Carpenters "Super Star", etc.)); we cater to an "older" crowd (some even from the Depends generation, but I LOVE it and they're SO sweet and forthcoming with the compliments!)

b. Heritage (I am female front; we do classic rock - a LOT of original stuff but some "cover" - I'm singing Allanah Myles "Black Velvet," Toto's "Hold the Line," and Guns & Roses "Sweet Child of Mine"... this weekend. These guys ROCK and I love their sound!)

c. WickedMercies (THIS band... is DYN-O-MITE! I'm new to this band and sing background mostly and co-front from time to time. We do nothing but original funk/soul... and it is ALL that IMHO. They've been featured on the BBC and say they are glad to have me!)

Yes, I know: burning candles at both ends and all that. And yes, I am tired. VERY tired, as I am practicing for two shows right now. But... I LOVE it! And it kinda fills that "void" left from all those meetings I don't have to attend anymore.

Let's see... what else...

4. Bought a "fancy" car. Previously, I would have only looked at the standard 4-door "family/field service" type of car (i.e., Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, etc.). But about 4 years ago I bought a GS300. I bought it [very] slightly used (unfortunately, I can't bring myself to buy a completely new car because of some weird hangup about them not being worth what you pay once you drive 'em off the lot... but I am working on that, so never say never)... but it was a GREAT deal. It's old[er] now (sorry, Lexie!) ... but I LOVE "her" and she runs real GOOD, even now.

And that's about it... at least, as far as I'm willing to share. And was probably too much. But, ah well... cat's outta the bag, now...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA, at work but not with a great deal to do right this moment, as you can see...

• Lieu
    Lieu

Yeah, I actually help people now.

It feels good to actually DO something for other people without any conditions ... simlpy seeing a real need and filling it.

Thinking about volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. Imagine finally building something that actually benefits someone.

I'm so wicked and gonna die.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I am an Architectural Consultant for a major window mfg. I call on architectural firms. Some are large firms, but others work out of their homes...so my door to door experience comes in handy...so to speak. One time I was training a new sales rep, and we were walking up to a home office... and the rep said.."bet he'll think we are Jehovah's witnesses." I said..."wow...do I have a story for you."...and after we completed the call, I told him my story... Cold calling is tough for most people...but I gave my first "presentation" to a householder at age 4... so it's no big deal to me.

I also conduct AIA CEU seminars...for groups of 2 to 50... so being comfortable with public speaking is a big plus... though this time, I address the audience directly....and the architects can ask me questions....

Coffee

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's all still new for me. I'm still sleeping in on Saturdays and Sundays, bringing my kid to or picking up from after school activities that we never allowed before, spending time in the same room with my family in the evenings reading, watching TV, or talking rather than closeted with the computer for hours on end working on meeting parts.

I hope to join a rec sports league and/or volunteer to coach a kids league next fall.

I'm just enjoying life right now and helping my family learn how to do so, as well.

I'm also working on some things to help expose the Borg both locally and on the Internet but nothing is ready yet. I have no projected completion dates for anything.

And I might take up writing again. And learn a musical instrument.

I have a lot of living to catch up on.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Like coffeeblack, I’ve used my experience going door to door to my advantage by selling Avon. It’s very easy for me to go cold calling, and people are MUCH more receptive at the doors now!

Oh, and I volunteer one day a week at a local museum. It’s nice to be able to do something positive for the local community.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit