The Bible: God's Word or Man's?

by Doug Mason 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Are there any books other than OT and NT that give any details on the WORD or what's on his mind? Or, must we rely on personal revelation, as given by God via the Holy Spirit?

It's not a case of either/or you know, you're not part of the WT anymore, you can decide for yourself :)

It is a case of both, while the NT is a collection of writings from the first couple of generations Christians, inclduing the apostles, it is NOT meant to replace or hold more "infulence" than the guiding force of the HS.

• Terry
    Terry
    It is a case of both, while the NT is a collection of writings from the first couple of generations Christians, inclduing the apostles, it is NOT meant to replace or hold more "infulence" than the guiding force of the HS.

And if you open your Yellow Pages to Churches......you'll see what a fine job the Holy Spirit has done of uniting believers in Christ ina bond

of unity!!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    And if you open your Yellow Pages to Churches......you'll see what a fine job the Holy Spirit has done of uniting believers in Christ ina bond
    of unity!!

Indeed, it seems that the totalitarian religions must have it right then, not much lack of unity there I guess.

Makes sense though, considering how many people want God to do the work for them, having a totalitarian group dictating to them is far more "godlike" in their view it seems.

• Terry
    Terry

At the end of the exercise, every single student has been able to reproduce the original text--even though no autograph was available, and he/she only had imperfect and error-filled copies.

HOW DO YOU KNOW every student has been able to reproduce the ORIGINAL TEXT?

Let me guess.......you STILL HAVE the original to compare it with!!

Pause (while this sinks in).....

Uh hem! WE DON'T HAVE ANY OF THE ORIGINALS!

Get it?

• sir82
    sir82
    Given the prepodnerance of manuscript evidence

Excellent!

Can you point us to such a "preponderance" of 1st century manuscripts of the NT books?

Er, no? How about some 2nd century manuscripts?

Still no? How about some early 3rd century complete manuscripts?

Surely you don't mean that we lack more than a handful of sentences from the NT written during the first 200 years of Christianity, from the period where numerous alternate versions of Christianity were competing for dominance and copies would have been more likely to have been "edited" a bit to support one version or another of "the truth"?

Sorry, about all the "preponderance" points to is what the manuscripts likely said a good 250-300 years after the originals were written.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    it is NOT meant to replace or hold more "infulence" than the guiding force of the HS.

I'm just confused about how you would recognize the WORD, were it not for the OT and NT. I would prefer a Bible with the true parts in Green or something. Or better yet, a SECOND book by God, in which he clears up a few things. It would be a best-seller.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm just confused about how you would recognize the WORD, were it not for the OT and NT. I would prefer a Bible with the true parts in Green or something. Or better yet, a SECOND book by God, in which he clears up a few things. It would be a best-seller.

Ah, and you, my dear friend,have indeed brought up THE QUESTION !
    How do we recognise THE WORD?

Certainly the bible helsp us, but at times, as we know, the OT and NT seem at odds with each other, so what is our final "authority" and how can we trust this "holy spirit"? for all we kow this voice is nothing but a bad acid trip or some overly spicy pad thai we had for lunch !

How can we know for sure what is THE WORD and what is TRUTH ??

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    How can we know for sure what is THE WORD and what is TRUTH ??

On Sunday mornings, there are several dudes on TV that have it all figured out, "evidently".

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

He did. It was written in giant flaming letters on the side of a mountain....it was "Sorry for the inconvenience."

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    On Sunday mornings, there are several dudes on TV that have it all figured out, "evidently".

Indeed, and what do YOU think of them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit