Stealing Watchtower's Thunder

by belbab 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• belbab
    belbab

Stealing Watchtowers Thunder

JW Freak posted this year’s convention program and the release of a new book about Jeremiah. I am starting this thread to focus only on the release of the book about Jeremiah. We know that the GB makes a big deal of the release of a new book building up huge excitement and hoopla about the release.

How can we steal their thunder? Copyright law will not allow us to print the whole book on the internet and beat them to the punch.

Consider this. When the Dead Scrolls were first discovered, the translation an mss work was divided between the scholars of various religions, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Judaism etc. They started squabbling amongst themselves and it took years to finish. Because the work was so delayed, to appease those anticipating the results, each group would release portions of writings gradually. Finally someone realized that all the scrolls were available in the partial releases that each religious group had released over the years. So they collated all the translated quotations from the scrolls and published them in one book and beat the squabbling ones to the punch forcing them to publish any remaining portions.

On JWN one of the longest threads ever was about the 607/586 BCE dates. Much of the excellent refutations of the WT position centered on the book of Jeremiah. "Celebrated JW Scholars" took a beating. These arguments need to resurface. The release of the book "Jeremiah" gives us the opportunity to do so.

So my suggestion is: As soon as someone gets a copy of it, a start can be made by many of us, giving quotations from it, paragraph by paragraph, subject by subject of all the key arguments. As the book is studied at the JW book studies, we can precede them with counter arguments exposing their errors. If many of us make "fair usage"quotations from the book, they cannot nail us for breach of copyright laws. Neither could they close down a pubic forum.

I hope you get the gist without my making a long post.

"If your enemy is hungry, feed him"

belbab

• belbab
    belbab

Help! How do you edit and remove duplicate posts?

Sorry, belbab

• poppers
    poppers

Clck on the little pencil icon in the upper right of your post. You've got about 30 minutes after a post to edit it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is still time to re-edit the post. When editing, click on the HTML button in the style bar and then in the new window delete all the duplicate text. Then hit OK and then Submit.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great idea with "repetition for emphasis".

• belbab
    belbab

Thanks all. Can one get rid of the blanks space?

belbab

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Same thing, go into the HTML and delete everything after the last sentence of your post, especially all the <P><P><P><P> that is making all the empty space.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As the book is studied at the JW book studies, we can precede them with counter arguments exposing their errors. If many of us make "fair usage"quotations from the book, they cannot nail us for breach of copyright laws.

Isn't this precisely what blondie does every week?

• belbab
    belbab

Leolaia,

Without going into lengthy posts:

Yes, that is exactly what Blondie does each week with the Watchtower Study.

There are some differences though. I propose that before the book is released to all conventions by the end of the summer, we already beforehand have revealed any new so-called new light and our counter arguments.

Figuratively, I would like to see the WT realize, "the ark of the covenent has been captured by the Philistines"

I suspect the book will endeavor to counter all the arguments that have been presented to undermine their 607 BCE date as well as other subjects.

belbab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I suspect the book will endeavor to counter all the arguments that have been presented to undermine their 607 BCE date as well as other subjects.

My guess is that the book will conspicuously avoid all the valid arguments presented to undermine the 607 BCE date.

What it will do, maybe, is present a handful of specious arguments that nobody actually makes, couch them as coming from "the world" or "opposers of truth," debunk them with arrogance and ease, and then assert the 607 date as "scriptural" and "sound."

If the Acts, Isaiah, Daniel, and minor prophet books are any indication of the Borg's M.O. the Jeremiah book will be shallow and juvenile with a lot of emphasis placed on individual behavior, a rehash of past prophetic interpretations, and a bit of how all the prophecies in the Bible point to the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit