Mothers' Day and JWs

by XJW4EVR 11 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

After my mom died, my aunts and I were going through her personal belongings for my dad. Late that night, in one of the last boxes we went through, I found a Mother's Day card that I had made for her when I was in first grade. Even though Mother's Day was a forbidden holiday, she kept that card for all those years.

I wonder, in spite of their surface indifference, how many JW mothers wish that they could participate in Mothers Day, at best, or resent it, at worst?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've wondered the same thing. I saw a tv commercial the other day that was advertising Mother's Day roses. I thought it would be funny to send my jw mom who has shunned me for 20 years a bouquet, and then the thought occured to me that she always hated fresh flowers due to allergies. It's wierd to forget such details about your own mother, but I guess it's normal after being apart for so long.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

That card must have been very special to your mother, it's nice that she kept it all those years.

I remember making a card for my Dad for Father's Day at school, but I changed it so it didn't specifically say Father's Day on it so it would be "ok." I still felt guilty, but even 20 years later my Dad still has that card in his desk at work.

Being a new Mom, I would love a day where I get a handmade card and maybe breakfast in bed! Without a special day to celebrate, people might forget to do something special for the ones they love. In my family growing up, we didn't do anything special for anyone.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

It's my belief from my own JW life that the majority would like to have some recognition on special days....whether it be Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Birthday, etc..

In my own family including in-laws, we always gave recognition to that person on their day. Of course we kept it only in the family. Thankfully, none of them except for one nutty sister-in-law, we never had a problem because we all had a separate life away from the KH.

And when it came to Christmas, we always had a "Just Because We Love You" day a month or so after Xmas and bought presents for the kids.

What a horrible way of life we once had with all eyes scrutinizing every move we made!

I'm happy to be free and today, I celebrate everything with my few living relatives. Which reminds me........I need to call my elderly Aunts (one here in the Pittsburgh area and the other one in Hemet, CA. and wish them Happy Mother's Day.

HappyDad

• upnorth
    upnorth

Dearest Mom

on this Mother's Day

I'd like to thank you for raising us in the way of a vile cult.

Your natural motherly abilities to protect those you birthed was apparently sold, to Satan himself, so you could pursue the will of the "organization"

Thank you for a useless emotionless youth

I would say I love you, and mean it, if I hadn't been successfully taught to suppress it.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

On Saturday, me and my sisters took my mom her 'Mother's Day' gift. It was an outfit and she wore it to the assembly on Sunday. It was okay to get it for her because we gave it to her on Saturday-not Sunday-the real Mother's Day. Technicality, right? She knew what it was for and was gracious about accepting it. We appreciate her and are happy to show her. It's funny, sad and irritating all in one but she's a good mom and we love her.

• JWoods
    JWoods

On this subject, what exactly was the JW reasoning against Mother's Day?

Pretty hard to say it is somehow pagan, right?

Obviously nothing about it in the bible, either.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In my family growing up, we didn't do anything special for anyone.

This is the sad family legacy of all JW families.

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

This whole thread makes me sad.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

On sunday while taking my dauhter home to her JW mother, we stopped at a country antique store for a bit of a break (its a 2 hour drive).

Walking around the shop she commented to my wife how something she saw would be good for mothers day...

my ears pricked up and i asked what it was, and does she 'do' mothers day? YES.

Do you wish mum happy mothers day? YES

Is your mum ok with that? YES

well knock me down and pick me up! I cant figure the evil one out. She also took our daughter to the movies for her birthday once as well.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit