Jehovah Witnesses- True Christians?

by rich5678 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I agree with Moshe, leave the OT to the Hebrews and the NT to the christians.

While we are loving cousins and children of the same God, we tend to look at God differently and have different paths that we follow to God.

And I wouldn't call JW's Christians per say, more like Jehovahlites or something liek that.

While they see Jesus as lord and saviour, they don't see him as the path to God for all ( Christians do), they see him only as an angel( messenger) and only as A son of God, not THE son of God.

Their path to salvation is not based on Jesus or his teachinsg but based on the WT and their teachings.

• poppers
    poppers

I would bet that if a Christian of any denomination were asked if they were a "true Christian" they would say yes. Who in their right mind would say, "Yes, I am a Christian, but not a true Christian"? It would be preposterous. Is there a universally agreed upon template that spells out precisely what a "true Christian" is? I would say no. There are lots of differing views about it, and that's why there is so much sniping among the differing Christian communities. In my opinion this is why religion is a kind of dead end; it's a series of cul-de-sacs - it seeks to confine spirituality within its own boundaries of interpretive beliefs and when there are differing opinions and interpretations a new cul-de-sac forms. Where within this metropolis of cul-de-sacs is the real "true Christianity?"

• blondie
    blondie

I always wondered growing up in the WTS, why we were called jws and not Christians. Even prior to 1931, they chose the name "Bible Students."

Jesus even said that his followers would be witnesses of him (Jesus) at Acts 1:8.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Blondie makes a great point as always, Acts 1 has LOTS of interesting tidbits:

1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with a water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

6 So when they met together, they asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Notice that Jesus says:

“It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority"

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

And the Angel(s) says:

11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

In those 11 verse we have:

Jesus telling his apostles to NOT focus on times and dates for the second coming.

To be HIS witnesses.

And we have angels telling them that WHEN Jesus comes back, it will be the SAME way he left.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I think that's a good point that in essence, when you really get right down to the nitty gritty, that the Witnesses started out believing that only the heavenly class, the 144,000 were necessary or really the body of Christ.

The rest of us are just skirt hangers, as I used to call it. We're just tagging along so they'll have something and someone to be ruling over from their heavenly abode, or something like that. I never was really convinced that the "earthly class" weren't second class Christians, but, yeah, they are. We got thrown a bone, basically, because we really didn't fit in with original WTS doctrine.

Of course, the carrot of "everlasting life" on earth is dangled, but really, all that "great crowd of other sheep"nonsense was just a patch job when someone started counting back at Brainwash Central and started worrying that there were getting to be a lot more than 144,000 Witnesses and still no coming of the Lord to carry them all off to heaven.

The real underlying problem of the Witness doctrines are that they are essentially an Adventist religion, and always have been. Adventists NEED a second coming (advent) of Christ for validity like ducks need water. So, they either have to wait for them indefinitely, and humans just hate waiting for anything for too long or invent an advent, which is what the Witnesses did. It became an invisible advent, and they were able to stick their borrowed date of 1874, then 1914 on it and voila! New Adventist sect.

Most Adventist sects are smallish compared to mainstream Christianity, and usually die out over time. Witnesses are no exception. No one wants to wait forever, even for the Lord. Most Christians just prefer to focus on other aspects of Christian teaching...Christ didn't spend a lot of time discussing his "return" nor the details (except to say there was no way of knowing when it would be) and so they give it due import, which is little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit