What the heck happened in the stock market today?

by aSphereisnotaCircle 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

If this makes you feel any better the action was so swift that the prices changed by the minute. Bought some index shares at $32.50, couple minutes later they were $29.75, few minutes later I'm selling them for $35.00. Crazy action. Didn't even have time to panic or say WTF. Also, my TDAmeritrade trading platform was acting up, so for awhile there was trouble buying or selling shares. I was ranting at TDAmer pretty good during that time.

Think About It

• Dagney
    Dagney

(Boy I'm glad I ain't that guy!)

• Terry
    Terry

Think of a fishbowl full of water. Drop a coin in the water. What happens to the water level?

A hole first. Then a rise. Then a dip. A smaller rise. Smaller dip. Waves going outward.

Finally, quietude and a level line.

The fishbowl full of water is the economy. The coin dropped into the water are world events.

The waves, ripples, surges and undulations are the feeders and sellers and opportunists selling and buying frantically.

But, the "norm" comes always.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

If you believe the "B" for the "M" story...................

Judge Dread

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Everything is okay. Nothing to worry about. Get back to what you are doing.

• Judge Dread
  • diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Dunno all my holding are up :)

Another wave in the market or finally the second leg down began

• Think About It
    Think About It

If you believe the "B" for the "M" story...................

That was a pretty lame excuse they put out, about a Trader accidentally entering 15 billion, instead of 15 million. Anything that could affect the US stock market like that would have protections in place to prevent "fat fingering".

Think About It

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I posted this on another thread.

If you bought or sold a "billion", and were supposed to do a "million", that trade would go right to the managers computer and he would:
    1. CANCEL THE TRADE.
    2. Leap out of his chair.
    3. Land right on top of your desk.
    4. Get in your face and ask you, in a not so kind manner, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!??????"
    Judge Dread
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Simple. They had a minor problem that scared people. Then the Fed went and reduced the losses.

Now, 350 points sounds like a lot. However, I can remember plenty of times when the Dow was down 30 points on the day, back when it was trading around 800 (the good old days). That is closer to the real magnitude of the drop. Also, what happens whenever we get a nice selloff back toward fair value is the Fed goes on a buying binge with MY tax dollars. They do this to create the illusion that the economy is doing just fine, so people will be unprepared when hyperinflation with the Even Worse Depression hits. Had they simply let it go, we would have seen a depression that would have stabilized, the excesses would have been worked off, and prosperity would have returned. Now, we have to pay the balloon from preventing the depression in 2002, plus the balloon from the bailouts--creating an even worse depression with hyperinflation. And, all the buying of stocks in the world won't do any good if it all gets taxed away to pay for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit