Book of Enoch?

by Soldier77 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I came across this a few weeks back while doing some online research http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/ (I hope that's how you post links) and I'm curious to know if any of you have done research into this book and what are your comments/thoughts on it?

I've read through the Watchers and the Adam and Eve story, quite interesting opens up another angle of the whole "In the beginning"...

How accurate is this book? Why was it left out of the bible? You know, just wondering... any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Soldier77

• darth frosty
  • notverylikely
    notverylikely

The Book of Enoch invisibly returned to the Bible in 1975

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thank you darth frosty!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I bought the book about a month ago. I haven't read it yet. Zechariah Sitchin Piqued my curiosity in it.

His theory is we are decendents of the astronauts from planet Nibiru according to the Sumerian text.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think it is interesting, as are most apocryphal books. In many ways more interesting than the accepted Bible canon. They're all about equally believable as historical fact.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Whoa... Leolaia's research is a real eye-opener. I think I just opened another can of worms that needs further investigation. Astonishing. The knowledge that is on this website has taught me far more in 6 months than what I've been drilled into my head from the organization all my life.

You guys rock.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have emphasized the importance of this book repeatedly in this forum, as it was probably the most important book (or rather, a collection of books) written in the last three centuries before Jesus, aside from Daniel, and in fact the two books share a lot in common (e.g. written in Aramaic, referring to angels as Watchers, prophecy via dream visions, animal/horn symbolism, the use of the 360+4 calendar, etc.). It is impossible to understand the Judaism of Jesus' day without understanding 1 Enoch. It sheds much light on the Essene branch of Judaism and anticipates many later "Christian" ideas (such as the more developed apocalyptic "Son of Man" figure, Judgment Day, eschatological judgment by fire, demons as the giants who drowned in the Flood, the notion of the binding of angels in an abyss, etc.). It was also quoted as inspired "prophecy" in the NT and in the second century Christians occasionally quoted from it as scripture. It is still canonical scripture in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Its use faded in Western (Roman) Christianity when ideas of canonicity shifted from the earlier Essene/Christian model (which had an open canon recognizing many pseudepigrapha) to the normative Pharisee/rabbinical model which prevailed in the Judaism of the third and fourth centuries AD (which had a closed canon limited to the Tanakh), although ideas varied on whether a deuterocanon (limited to the Apocrypha and a few pseudepigrapha like 2 Esdras) ought to have secondary status.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

I'm resurrecting this topic because this is the stumper. How does a Jehovah's Witness convince someone who believes that the Book of Enoch is Scripture that it is NOT Scripture?

If the Book of Enoch is not Scripture, then the book of Jude is not Scripture, since Jude quotes from Enoch. So for you to convince me that the Book of Enoch is NOT Scripture you must prove that the Book of Jude does NOT quote Enoch. Good luck clean shaven missionary.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The WT has a totally crap view on this, that the words of Jude etc are inspired, but the Books they reference, like Enoch, are not inspired.

Why a Canon decided upon by what the WT/JW religion calls an Apostate Church, i.e Western Catholicism in the late 4th Century, should be accepted as containing inspired works, and other works of apparent equal merit are rejected, is never explained by them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit