Do you remember the moment that you stopped believing that it was "The Truth"?

by freeflyingfaerie 43 Replies latest jw friends

• happy1975
    happy1975

While hubby was at the meeting one night I sat down at my computer, typed 'jehovahs witnesses' (the first time I'd ever done that - I was terrified). Found this message board (the old one). I was floored. The rest is history.

-Happy

• JWoods
    JWoods

It took about ten years afterward to actually act on it, but in 1969 I did some research on the use of the name Jehovah in the New World Translation and was absolutely shocked to find out I had been lied to about how it was inserted into the new testament.

They just did it because they wanted to: there were not any "oldest texts" that had the name.

Other things became obvious - all the creationism stuff was B.S., there was no reason to think that the human heart could make up thoughts for your brain, the 1975 prophecy was not going to happen, etc.

Finally, I was aware of the Ray Franz Bethel scandal from the inside before it became public.

But, the first moment when I knew they were not infallible was that research I did on their "translation" of the bible back in 1969.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The elders had a meeting with me suggesting that since I had attended meetings over a year I could submit my reinstatement letter. (I had been DF for 14 years) I said yes but I told them that I had some questions that I needed to get answered before I became a JW again. They told me that they would answer those questions when I was reinstated since they couldnt talk about spiritual matters with me. :-) I laughed and told them that if I got reinstated at the moment I asked my questions they would DF me again. I never came back to th KH

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I learned how the WT viewed Black people.

Sylvia

• wobble
    wobble

I was born in,and never believed all the B.S , could never see some great prophecy in the bible being fulfilled at friggin Cedar friggin point friggin Ohio by a bunch of Rutherfordians.

The straw that did the old camel in was seeing the GB usurp the place and authority of Jesus in 2007, I cannot remember the exact reference now, but it just hit me between the eyes that those old nuts in Brooklyn had lost it.

I walked out of the K.H in early 2008, never to return.

Wobble

• not a captive
    not a captive

It was Bible reading that got me in trouble and got me out.

The first time they called on me a brother told me that we have to pray the right way to have your prayers heard by God. I told him that wasn't the way the book of Acts had it with the Roman centurian Cornelius. God heard him before Peter even thought of coming to see him. I told the brother that when a person is really seeking, God does listen. Cornelius was just was open to God. I told him that God had answered my prayers before I ever knew he had a name.

I didn't realize that if the brother had pressed that point while I stuck to that single statement, it would have overthrown my study, would have prevented my capture. 21 years later even so small an idea as that one is not allowed in a witness's brain if it runs against the grain of the FDS's literature. They say you have to pray using God's name and have a clear understanding of the "truth" about him before he listens. And they won't let you believe any different.

Then I found the entire theology of Jehovah's Witnesses is summed in three words: Faithful Discreet Slave. Not Jesus, not Jehovah, not even the Bible. Just the Corporation.

It took a year. I didn't know when I started that it would end this way. I had a brother tell me point blank to my question," Might I answer a certain question using the Bible instead of the literature?" The brother said "No" and the other two wouldn't contradict his statement. (Although one refused to answer when I asked if he agreed with Bro.---'s statement) It began unraveling fast then. I had to write the Branch and discuss that with the Brothers. But I could see that I was dealing with a Corporation. By the time I sent in my letter of disassociation I was thoroughly disgusted with the corruption of faith that they tried to work on their members.

But I must have stpped believing it was the "truth" after the first meeting when that one told me to use the literature over the Bible. When I cleaned house that week I found that the sight of the literature disturbed and revolted me. I couldn't keep it in the house anymore. I despised it.

Maeve

• poor places
    poor places

I find the comments in this thread really interesting because I've never been able to pinpoint a time when I lost faith in the organization. As someone born in the "truth," it's hard to recall a time when I didn't question some aspect of the organization or even God. I remember believing in all of it as a very young child, of course, because that's what mommy and daddy said, but it's harder to remember after that. I kind of slogged through my high school years; I went through the meeting and service routine, but I don't know how much I believed. Faith is a funny thing. You can have it on Monday and sort of lose it on Tuesday. Something good happens to you and you feel like God is looking after you. Something bad happens and you're not so sure. A brother gives a riveting talk and you think the organization is great. A brother counsels you and you're not so sure.

I've always wondered if their are certain "risk factors" that make a person more susceptible to losing faith in the org and/or God. Why do some people grow up with steady faith and others lose it right off? Any thoughts on this?

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I remember that moment clearly. It was 15 minutes into reading Captives of a Concept.

• streets76
    streets76

Great question. Thoughtful responses.

I was born in. Respected my elders, literal and figurative. But my gut feeling from early on was always, "something is not right."

I always assumed the problem (my inability to accept the Truth and be happy) was me, my own sinful nature and desires.

Crisis of Conscience showed me the problem was elsewhere.

I now know that my nature and desires are not sinful -- they are merely human.

Trust your gut.

• awildflower
    awildflower

When I learned how the WT viewed Black people.

Sylvia when I first moved to Okc six years ago the black "brothers" in my hall were telling me that the KH used to be segregated here. I was shocked! I mean I know about segregation but you'd think in the "True Org" that wouldn't be the case but they swore it was. Is that true?

I have to thank Oprah actually for my exit. I was going through some stuff with my son and these idiot "elders" and they botched it up so bad that I was already in a "thinking" frame of mind. Oprah had her book selection A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and since I followed her books I bought it, read it, took the on line class she had about it and it changed my life. I even met several jw woman doing the same thing and they are my friends today because of it. It resonated with me to the core and I saw for the first time how RELIGION doesn't work that it serves the purpose of the ego. I left very quickly after that. But my FIRST opening in my mind was me defending my kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit