Initial Analysis Of The Times Square Bombing Attempt

by leavingwt 166 Replies latest social current

• tec
    tec

I understand the anger and fear and distrust toward the Islamic extremists/terrorists. I do not understand the ease in which most people are willing to lump every muslim into that category, out of fear or anger. Does this not mean that the innocent are being condemned with the guilty? Or at least being treated as if they are guilty?

Tammy

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I do not understand the ease in which most people are willing to lump every muslim into that category, out of fear or anger. Does this not mean that the innocent are being condemned with the guilty? Or at least being treated as if they are guilty?

Well look at that. We appear to be on the same side of an issue. What's next, cats and dogs living together? ;)

• tec
    tec

Well look at that. We appear to be on the same side of an issue. What's next, cats and dogs living together? ;)

Cats and dogs do live together. Sheesh! Do your research.

Tammy

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Cats and dogs do live together. Sheesh! Do your research.

Sheesh, am I the only one that's seen Ghostbusters?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
    Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
    Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    This country was built on values of the Right....not the left.

The modern libertarian Right is the old left. The modern authoritarian Left is the old Right. The basic ideas haven't changed, it's the labels that have changed their meanings.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Six:

In the end, Army Intelligence planes flying over NYC intercepted the call he made to Emirates Airlines on his way to the airport.

That is cool. I wonder if those planes are flying over NYC all the time, or if they were especially 'scrambled' after the failed bombing. Thank goodness they caught the guy. Side question: Does Posse Comitatus restrict the use of this tool in any way?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

The modern libertarian Right is the old left. The modern authoritarian Left is the old Right. The basic ideas haven't changed, it's the labels that have changed their meanings.

Now that's not fair, saying something I agree with. How am I going to argue with you if we start agreeing?

A good example of your point is that Lincoln was in fact a Republican. Washington was a Whig (whatever the hell that means). Labels change all the time and not necessarily with what's underneath that label changing as well.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Josh Marshall, writing at TPM:

It continues to amaze me how the military (see, e.g., Jessica Lynch) and the FBI (the G-man stereotype) are so adept at turning the most discombobulated, random, messy and disjointed series of screw-ups into clean, smooth narratives -- and how the media eat them up. Do they employ screenwriters to convert their epic foul-ups into plot lines we recognize from TV?
    In yet another instance of this phenomenon, the story of how we came to apprehend the suspected Times Square bomber is starting to appear much less straightforward and far more bumbling than the initial reports yesterday.

How the FBI Nearly Blew It

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/the_one_that_almost_got_away_how_the_fbi_almost_lo.php?ref=fpblg

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    That is cool. I wonder if those planes are flying over NYC all the time, or if they were especially 'scrambled' after the failed bombing. Thank goodness they caught the guy. Side question: Does Posse Comitatus restrict the use of this tool in any way?

My guess would be 'scrambled' if this part of the story is true. They certainly were looking for that particular phone number to make a call by then.

• leavingwt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit