Elder called this morning

by doublelife 15 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

He called at 8:44 a.m. to invite me to the meeting. The meeting starts at 10:00 a.m. If I did decide to go he didn't give me much notice to get ready. But I guess that doesn't matter. He did his job. I didn't answer the phone because I didn't recognize the number so he left a voice mail. He said that they are having the CO visit today. That must be why he called. A few minutes later he called my husband's phone and he answered. At first, he felt guilty and wanted to go. But then he realized what time it was and he knew he wouldn't have time to get ready. So brother elder can now check us off his list and report back to brother CO that he did his job and just leave out the fact that he didn't give the people he called enough notice to get to today's meeting.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You mean for field service?

• doublelife
    doublelife

No. Our Sunday meetings are on Saturday. Then, they do field service on Sunday.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah he just wants to report back to the CO. "we've been trying to help them........."

It's insincere.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Now I can see that elders are also under pressure from COs to perform. That is very sickening.

• dissed
    dissed

You are absolutely correct. He dropped the ball, but will blame you in the end.

"Brother Pass-the-buck, did you visit Doublelife and invite them?"

"Of course I did. But they had more important things to do than come for your part"

• blondie
    blondie

Definitely a CYA measure. My husband told me about the "drive by" visits he would do with other elders. No call before, and they would drive by and see if they say a person outside or a car. If not, they would just keeping driving by. These other elders never said anything to him about their plans because he would have called first and set up an appointment.

He said that just before the CO's visit that the BOE would make a list of inactive jws or were missing meetings and would divide up the names to have the elders call on them. Sometimes the CO would ask for a detailed report and other times it would be just "we tried calling on these people." For almost 8 years we were never called on, but recently there has been CYA attempt, no call, drop in.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    Definitely a CYA measure. My husband told me about the "drive by" visits he would do with other elders. No call before, and they would drive by and see if they say a person outside or a car. If not, they would just keeping driving by. These other elders never said anything to him about their plans because he would have called first and set up an appointment.
    blondie

Again, this gives me an idea that elders are under COs pressure to perform. Reading the above, I think elders are not enjoying this kind of work. Looks like they are uncomfortable making 'drive by' visits. At one time, I was unexpectedly visited by an elder and his wife in 2008 during an afternoon hours. As I was going to work, I just drove away from the parking lot as I did not want to speak to them. If you have been shunned or marked out, what is the purpose of tring to speak to the same person whom you have ostracised? I think, that is a double standard, hypocritial, callous and irresponsible.

• man in black
    man in black

my wife and I da'ed ourselves 1.5 years ago, and the elders just did a drive by last Saturday.

The thing that irritated me was that they sent a new, young, know-it all kid/elder to visit us with no advance call.

Listening to this guy gush facts, and jw falacies just cemented even more why I left the witnesses in the first place.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The thing that irritated me was that they sent a new, young, know-it all kid/elder to visit us with no advance call. Listening to this guy gush facts, and jw falacies just cemented even more why I left the witnesses in the first place.

man in black

What did that yound elder told you? Was he alone? You did a Da'ed yourself 1.5 years ago through a letter writting. Correct? If yes, was it aknowledged and responded to by the congo? Iam wondering, why do they not leave people alone after they have left the WTS? To me, this is profoundly troubling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit