Stump the expert.

by John Doe 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Cool! The riddle still is pretty neat: significance, blue Truth book, p. 86, the quoted verse occurring between the superscript 8 beginning the paragraph and the word "armies", etc.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

haha and who and where exactly is the expert? 3 pages and not even one correct answer.

Damned I dont have that blue book anymore. I wonder if its online.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Yes, I see the vulnerability in your code now:

Alphabetical by CipherAlphabetical by Plaintext

AGB - after
    AGJ – against
    AHZ - all
    AJZ – and
    AKA - another
    ALL - are
    AWG – be
    AYM - beginning
    B – a
    DQA - distress
    EG - Earthquakes
    FDB - food
    FDL – for
    HBV - in
    IFQ – nation
    IXC - of
    INZ - one
    JTW – kingdom
    LNW - pangs
    MJC - place
    PAT – rise
    ROT - shortages
    UYL – there
    UYT – these
    UZI - things
    VWQ - will

A - B
    After - AGB
    Against – AGJ
    All - AHZ
    And – AJZ
    Another – AKA
    Are - ALL
    be – AWG
    beginning – AYM
    distress - DQA
    earthquakes - EG
    food - FDB
    for – FDL
    in - HBV
    kingdom - JTW
    nation – IFQ
    of - IXC
    one – INZ
    pangs - LNW
    place - MJC
    rise – PAT
    shortages - ROT
    there – UYL
    these – UYT
    things - UZI
    will - VWQ

I was wondering earlier if you kept a codebook with two seperate alphabetical lists, if it was only intended for encodeing, or there was a handy trick for looking up the words for decoding - guess that answers that question.

Cool! The riddle still is pretty neat: significance, blue Truth book, p. 86, the quoted verse occurring between the superscript 8 beginning the paragraph and the word "armies", etc.

Ironically even though I guessed 1986 based on the "Year of Peace" - like an idiot I didn't go straight to page '86' but kept thinking it had some textual or biblical meaning (I literally 'paged through' looking for a sub-title that included that phrase, or mention of the return of the 'prince of peace').. and basically my eye hit "nation against nation, kingdom against kingdom" and it jumped out at me as a possibility. Then when I saw the page number I felt pretty dang stupid.

- Lime

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yup, you found the vulnerability. :) If I had done a simple trick like reversing the letters, how long would it have taken you to discover the pattern? I guess I should have a second layer of encryption for the three-letter codes, though the code is still pretty much unbreakable without much toil and effort.

Notice how "kingdom" is in the "wrong" place? I threw in a lot of arbitrary things like that at the local level throughout, same goes for *T "holy" in my response to John Doe (quoting Stan's response to Cartman), with the asterisk occurring in place of the intial letter.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Yup, you found the vulnerability. :) If I had done a simple trick like reversing the letters, how long would it have taken you to discover the pattern?

Longer for sure, but I think I could have spotted it. Just looking at the new set of words (even before I set to catalog them) I had a 'gut feeling' that there was a corrolation between codeword and plaintext. I certainly would have started moving letters around.

On my whiteboard with the original messages, I added in some 'rough limits' where I can expect the word to fall in the alphabet for each word.. but at this point I can still more-less make the sentence say anything I want, as the ranges are so broad. I now know CS.Σ is probably a plural noun, or a current-tense verb. HUL I can throw out a few supicions, and my current favorites would be 'is', 'it', or 'its' - but HUL appears between HBV and IFQ, which represents a huge multi-letter gap in plaintext. I can throw out a lot of words, but it still leaves a lot of words. AMY could be 'at'... or something completely different. AOR doesn't appear to be one of the common conjunctions, but you said it was a 'functional' word so I'm still thinking on that.

Still more-less impossible to solve this and know you've got it right.

- Lime

• John Doe
    John Doe
    haha and who and where exactly is the expert? 3 pages and not even one correct answer.
    Damned I dont have that blue book anymore. I wonder if its online.

Every answer has been correct! Aren't you a killbuzz!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit