Stump the expert.

by John Doe 45 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Here is an oft-quoted passage from the NWT:

If only I hadn't done such a good job over the past 4 years forgetting all those oft-quoted scriptures...

- Lime

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is that oft-quoted NWT verse that any JW could recite from heart, with color highlighting that may better show the repetition of words:

FDL IFQ VWQ PAT AGJ IFQ AJZ JTW AGJ JTW, AJZ UYL VWQ AWG FDB ROT.Σ AJZ EG.Σ HBU IZN MJC AGB AKA. AHZ UYT.2 UZI.Σ ALL B AYM IXC LNW.Σ IXC DQA.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    The retort of someone who has been undeniably stumped.

Suck my balls, Mr. Garrison!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*T RWU.4, DXZ!

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    FDL IFQ VWQ PAT AGJ IFQ AJZJTW AGJ JTW, AJZ UYL VWQ AWG FDB ROT.Σ AJZ EG.Σ HBU IZN MJC AGB AKA. AHZ UYT.2 UZI.Σ ALL B AYM IXC LNW.Σ IXC DQA.

Heh heh, yeah, that's the first thing I did. Definitely a clear pattern, but I didn't memorize more than a couple scriptures.. which leaves me.. digging through google looking for frequently quoted scriptures to test (icky! Watchtower pages!). I wrote a simple regular-expression for scaning pages of text searching for simularities to that pattern... but short of dropping book after book from the bible into it (which funny thing... nobody is seeding the 3-gig New World Translation torrent), I'm not really any closer. Yeah... I was considering letting my machine brute-force it overnight. :P

There's a dang lot of scriptures out there to try... and the few I knew of the top of my head clearly weren't it. Maybe someone more bible-versed can crack that clue. Kinda disappointing.

- Lime

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, here's another hint to help you find that passage, this time couched as a riddle....

Significance resides in the passage you seek
    Leaf through the pages until the Year of Peace
    Truth makes blue those who are meek
    Eight armies surround the text beside the crease.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I hope that riddle doesn't require owning a physical copy of the NWT...

- Lime

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

No, not the NWT. It's some other Watchtower book. But you won't need the book itself, I'll scan for you the relevant page. Just let me know the book and page number.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Oh, ok.. I'm getting parts of it now. Somehow I doubt the book has 1,986 pages though... (Man, I suck at this. I'm almost ready to try cheating.)

I think I can get a pdf.

- Lime

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Ah.. there you are. And to think, I was brute-forcing the book of Mathew (I had already done all of John, 1&2 Peter, Revelation, and parts of genesis.. and a few other 'common quotable books') and got as far as chapter 23 before getting distracted by your riddle. How frustrating is that? I had the WT site open to one page before the solution that whole time! (There was the chance that my pattern-matcher wouldn't detect the passage properly anyway, but when I tried it found it immediately. And for all I knew, I still had nothing to go on, just scanning books randomly.)

Finally, onto more interesting stuff.

(EDIT: Oh, and it's Mathew 24:7 for anyone else doing this.)

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit