Finally finished my college degree

by drew sagan 32 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This week I finally finished college. Feels great to finally be completed.

I have to say that the process has been therapeutic. A year and a half ago when I started to go back I still defined myself in terms of my experience as a JW.

That is all gone now. For those of you that have been on this forum as long (or longer) than I have, you know that I haven't posted much of anything lately, especially within the past year.

I have been so consumed with my new family (1st child born last year) and college, that cares about JW related material simply have vanished from my life. I simply no longer care. Sure, there are some intellectual curiosities, but not much more than that. The experience is far behind me, and I'm not looking back.

To those of you who feel that you need to "help others" in the Watchtower I give you this word of caution. Be careful, because that may simply be an excuse you are using to remain stuck in the past. That's how it was for me. I was stuck, and because I was stuck, I made the ex-jw stuff everything. It defined me. It was a life changing experience that "everybody needs to know."

But there are more interesting things out there than JWs. If you're stuck in that world (family, kids, spouse, etc.) I get why it would continue to be a concern. But if you have the ability to drop it all, do it! Just a few months back I threw out just about every JW related book I had, and deleted all of the files from my computer. Its all gone, and I'm glad for it.

Again, I know some of you out there still have to deal with this lousy religion. But if you get the chance, move on with your life. It's worth it!

- Drew, of the 'not so concerned' class

• zarco
    zarco

Drew- an education is one of the best looks forward. Onward and upward.

Kind regards,

zarco

• Quandry
    Quandry

Congratulations on finishing college! You have alot to be proud of.

I hope I can someday just "forget." Doubtful, but it is fading more into the background.

It helps that I don't have any close family in. And of course no JWs contact us anymore.

Hope you are able to use your degree to work at something you enjoy...

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Best investment you've ever made! Congrats!

• Scott77
    Scott77

Congraculation, Drew for completing college. I bet it was not so easy for you but, I am glad you have finally made it. Thank you. You are a good example to many of us here. You are demostrating that there is life after the borg.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Congratulations! It feels out of this world to accomplish and complete such a monumental goal as a college degree. It's surreal for me. Yes, college will fill all your time so you don't even think about JWN for long at a time.

I threw out my service bag and everything that was in it plus all the books and mags in the house with that publishing company's name on it.

I have nothing of theirs in my home now and it is so cleansing to do that.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

So proud for you, not just for finishing college... but to leave your JW history in the past. Truly an inspirational post, something we should all aspire to!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Happy for you Drew. Your comments are food for thought and worth serious contemplation. I think many of us here have transitioned from our JW experience to a normal life (whatever that is!) but have old, itchy scars and feel an affinity for those who are still adjusting.

• Heaven
    Heaven

This is wonderful news! Congratulations Drew. One of the things that people need is to learn; to constantly 'sharpen the saw' (as Stephen Covey puts it). There is always something that can fulfill this but sadly, with the JW religion, it is not something that is encouraged.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Congratulations Drew.

I wish you well on your new journey.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit