Ebert: Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too)

by leavingwt 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

3d for its own sake can hurt a film but if done well it can be seamless. Example: Coraline.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I can live without it. I've also heard that some people have physical issues with it so some are unable to watch it.

• Terry
    Terry

Let's give Ebert a break. He had to have his entire lower jaw removed but he is not afraid to appear in public and continue his

work as a critic. He can no longer speak, by the way. A special "talking keyboard" has been outfitted with his sampled voice so that when he types you can hear HIS voice rather than a robotic one.

Ebert is a Pulitzer Prize winning critic and a devoted promoter of small films of excellence. I give him huge props both as a person and as a film critic.

The 3-D problem has largely been overcome by technologically savvy people such as James Cameron who shot his 3-D AVATAR much brighter than normal to compensate for the dimming effect of the glasses.

Almost every technology goes through an early stage of crappiness. Give it time.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

In the Teckno world there is always the strive to reach for something better, this new 3-D

wave of technology may reach to the younger crowd in movies and TV and when you think about

where is the most of the movie market aimed at anyways ?

Where this technology might really take off is in the video gaming world,

which are actually being produced right now.

I doubt that 3-D will take over 2-D completely but if the manufactures can create something that is

truly appealing to a niche segment of the population and make a good profit at the same

time, expect to see more 3-D in the future.

• booby
    booby

this is just the first generation of 3D TV. It is anticipated that it will overlap with 4D and possibly even 5D in the future, before the demise or armageddon of television.

• hereiam!
    hereiam!

I hate it too, I get major headaches, and I saw Avatar in 3d and the color from being so dark sucked.

• agonus
    agonus

It's the inevitable evolution of the medium. Terry's right... it's in its infancy... it'll get better.

• agonus
    agonus

Coraline kicked ass

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I think once the novelty of 3D wears off, we'll see a growing library of movies that put it to good effect. I thought Avatar did a good job of using the technology in a non-gimicky way, but rather just adding stereo perspective in the same sort of shot's you'd want in a 2D format. I think it's best for directors to avoid objects appearing too close to the viewer - as those objects tend to break immersion and remind you that you are watching a 3D movie. As more film projects pick up the technologies, directors will develop styles and 'rules' that make the most of the medium.

A few of my friends work in film industry, and they are very excited to see the technology become standardized and more available. None of them give a rat's ass about what Ebert says (and neither do I). He is from a different generation, he's critized an entire medium (video games) from a position of complete ignorance, and his opinion on the future of media is becomming less relevant each day.

"Color is a waste of a perfectly good dimension. Hollywood's current crazy stampede toward it is suicidal. It adds nothing essential to the moviegoing experience."

- Lime

• moshe
    moshe

At an Imax theater 3D movie is great for some documentary movies, but for Hollywood movies I will pass and just watch them on Blu-ray disk when they are released.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit