new kitten in the house...how to get the resident cat to accept?

by SnakesInTheTower 22 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

No advice; I've only had one cat that ran away or was stolen :(

I just love your writing and the picture of the kitten.

Sylvia

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Sweet jeeezuz shes cute. Ive done this before so many times and the cats adapt. But what I did initially was put the baby kitty in a cat carrier with lots of slots and holes in it where she could be sniffed and seen and walked around and layed next to without being assaulted and was safe there. They got used to each other. Then I left the door open a little so if the little one wanted to she could come out a little or bolt back into the safety of the carrier for awhile.

It took about a week usually. Its the smell they have to get used to mostly. And then usually the older one adopts the baby and they end up having cleaning sessions and sleeping in a heap.

Fear not. Just keep an eye on them. They are pretty self reliant even as babies. A fluffy blanky with a heating pad on low under it might ease the babys homesickness for momma. She will cry because they hate being alone.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

UPDATE...

We have been leaving the kitties out together at night and during the day when we are here. No major issues.

Here they are together yesterday (the pic is a bit blurry...it happened so fast I almost did not get the camera out...this tranquility did not last long...lol

We worried about the new kittie and his tumor though....WTF? read about it here....

Snakes (Rich )

Max is not amused

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit