new kitten in the house...how to get the resident cat to accept?

by SnakesInTheTower 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

It may get better with time but it may not. Go to Petco and get a bottle of "Good Cat" Use it to spike their drinking water and soon they will love each other. You can also get a plug in that will put out a pheremone that relaxes the cats. But since it smells weird and costs close to 40 bucks, I recommend the "Good Cat."

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

This post made me angry at your mother-in-law, and her husband. I work with an animal shelter and am sensitive about those things. But, it's kitten season. As for your cat and the kitten,it just takes time.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Sphere wrote: keep the kitties in seperate rooms for a while, one with a door between them so that they can become aware of the other one on the other side. Eventually they will start playing with each other under the door, let them do this for a while and then one day, open the door and leave them alone to discover each other.

I did a variation on this several years ago. The older, bigger, original pet will need to stay dominant. Keeping the kitten safe until they come to terms with each other and their respective roles is your greatest goal.

During the day (while we were all out of the house), the larger pet had full run of the house and the kittens were locked in the 10-year-old's bedroom with litterbox, food and water.

During the night (when everyone was asleep), the larger pet was kept in my bedroom with me behind closed door while the kittens were given full run of the house.

For a few hours each day (while people were present), all the pets were allowed to intermingle. Did this for about 30 minutes each morning while we were getting ready for school/work and then again in the evening.

Took about 3 or 4 weeks until all the pets got comfortable with each other.

Alternating full-house access allowed each pet to get accustomed to the others' scents without feeling too threatened.

Eventually, they all become very cozy.

Your cats may not become overly cozy with each other but they should be able to find their own safety zones and respect each other's place within the household.

Congrats on the new Kitty!!

-Aude.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It will likely take about a week for the older cat to accept the new cat.

You might want to keep the new cat in room with a closed door... allowing the older cat to get used to the new smell.

The older cat will fit and fuss and raise hell for awhile until they get used to each other.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Snakes you've received great advice, but plan on at least a month. Older cats hate newbies and will swat them into line for months (Kinda like JWN)

No need to worry about cat fights, if its a kitten. Your Dominant cat is just setting rules, he won't kill or harm the kitten, just hiss, swat, and generally act like a spoiled brat until he/she gets the situation under it's perceived control. Your interference will just prolong the matter.

Imagine me, introducing two adopted Dobermans into a house with a cat who has ruled the roost for 10 years......Guess who still rules?!!!!

r.

• Robdar
    Robdar

The last time I introduced a kitten I waited 3 months for it to bond with my older cat and vice versa. It just wasn't going to happen. I got a bottle of "Good Cat" and my problems were over immediately.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

heaven:

Can you post some pics, Snakes?

a quick pic... trying to figure out how to edit video (or more likely...the video i took last night was grainy and dark...still learning the camera)

sleeping in my lap....just now..

Snakes (Rich )

Adveture the kitten

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

aww, too precious

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.................. ...OUTLAW

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

outlaw...I have some video from last night kinda like that....it was too dark and grainy...i have to use better lighting and figure out how to post it on you tube

Snakes (Rich )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit