Does the British museum know....

by sleepy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

In Britian the Bethal arranges tours of the British museum taken by Bethelites on Bible themes.
    I have been on several myself and you get the impression that these tour and the information given are approved by the British museum.
    But the British museum places the fall of Jerusalem at 586/7 while the society puts it at 607.
    Is the museum management aware that in their very own building Jehovahs witness are undermining the research and skills of the people involved in studying historical events?
    Does it make sense for the museum to allow these tours to continue and to misinform people of historical events that have a great importance to Jehovahs witnesses?
    Should someone be informing the museum of this or do you think they allready know and aren't to bothered?
    Does anyone know or have a list of any of the subjects of these tours, and have you been yourself , what did you think?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sleepy,

There are now so many JW tours of the British Museum that some of the old stagers are getting weary of keep visiting en-masse.

Nowadays the tours are being cutdown to mornings only so that the afternoons can be spent on the London Eye.

Thats what my Mum tells me.

http://www.british-airways.com/londoneye/

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• Angharad
    Angharad

We went on one a while ago, while on a congregation trip to bethal. It was sold as 'We have our very own tour guide, who is also a bethal member, aren't we lucky'[8>]

You realise now, it was to keep you from wandering into areas that do not tie in with the scoiety's teachings.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Sleepy,

Yes, the curator at the British Museum is well aware of JW time-line teachings re the Fall of Jerusalem. In fact, I wager he is probably somewhat tired of correspondence pertaining to this issue.

Angharad, thank you for your explanation; I've never thought of it and it makes perfect sense. Yes, we will have our own JW guide, keep the rank-and-file from seeing the 'truth.'

• sleepy
    sleepy

"Yes, the curator at the British Museum is well aware of JW time-line teachings re the Fall of Jerusalem. In fact, I wager he is probably somewhat tired of correspondence pertaining to this issue. "

Have you spoken to him yourself or is it someone you know?

• Mutz
    Mutz

I stopped going on trips to the British Museum organised by my Cong when they decided you had to wear the full garb ( suit+tie ). I had a much more relaxed and interesting visit in September when I went with my GF.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Sleepy,

Yes, I spoke to him personally. It was after Carl Olof Jonsson and Ray Franz had written their initial books. It's been about 15+ years, and I do not recall his name...but am sure I can find out if you wish. I do recall him commenting that he was receiving "dozens upon dozens" (his words) of correspondence and telephone calls monthly re this issue. My specific reason for telephoning him was to inquire if he could recall actually receiving a letter or call from someone calling on legitimate behalf of the WTBTS, inquiring about the time-line differences.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Sleepy,

I forgot to say that his answer was, "No."

• Englishman
    Englishman

I seem to recall a tremendously long H20 thread re correspondence with the BM about 607BC. I think that it was Fridays post, any comments there Yadirf?

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• sleepy
    sleepy

Zazu witts,

Did he give a reason for not being bothered?

If this was 15 years ago is possible that someone else in charge now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit