My kitty is having kittens soon and Im stressing about it. Advice?

by WuzLovesDubs 24 Replies latest jw friends

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Like I dont have enough going on right now...my kitty is expecting and Im not sure when she actually got pregnant but Im thinking her due date might be around 5/10. I have read online a bit about the process and I hope she can handle this. I made a secure and private kittening box for her and she seems to like it in there with ripped up rags she can pile up into a nest. My last cat who got pregnant nearly died because she couldnt pass the kittens and it turns out they were already dead inside of her. It cost me $1500 to save her life :*( I cant afford even $100 now to go take this one to the vet for shots so Im freaking out.

Any advice what I can do here? Help her? Stuff I should keep on hand? Also I work overnights so if she goes into labor I wont know about it and neither will my kids upstairs.

Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know nothing about birthing babies..........

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Hi WuzLovesDubs,

Sorry, I don't have any experience on cats having kittens. But, there is a good site to go and ask questions on such as, catster.

And it might help you too,if you call your local shelter and see if they offer any services at lower cost or know of any animal clinics.

And I hope everything goes well, for you and the cat and kittens. But, the best thing you can do after your cat has the kittens is to find a low-cost spay clinic and get your cat spayed. It will save you from more stress and expense later.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

p.s. Of course, the cat can not be spayed until the kittens are weaned, I think.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I remember the first cat I had that had a litter of kittens, I totally freaked out, My BF at the time did come and help out, but said to just let nature take its course. One kitten was stillborn.

Years later, no BF, we had another cat with kittens. I had to come home from work for the event.

The mother had a bit of trouble, I was less squeamish and helped her with the delivery of two kittens.

I just kinda helped her when she was pushing. or what looked like pushing. the kitten was coming out OK!!!

She had a beautiful healthy litter and we only had to help her out with feeling safe as she had them in the closet and I wanted them moved.

When I moved them, she moved them several times before her and I had a place we both could agree on.

Good luck,

purps

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

It cost me $1500 to save her life :*( I cant afford even $100 now to go take this one to the vet for shots so Im freaking out.

I don't mean to come off insensitive, but $1500 on a cat? When I read the thread title I though I was just plain tired, but you're stressing over a cat having kitttens? People stress over debt, bad relationships, unruly kids, bad neighborhoods, and you're stressing over a cat having kittens? Its an animal for crying out loud. The back yard, a shovel is cheaper than $1500.

• White Dove
    White Dove

How precious! Nature knows best, but the box with cloth strips is perfect.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow, Misery. I'm getting a better understanding of your name now. Thanks.

WuzLoves, I think it is sweet that you are concerned. I'm going to go looking for links with tips to help you... here you go...

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/helping_your_cat_deliver_kittens

http://www.ehow.com/how_2260_deliver-kittens.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_SGZzlHwg

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't mean to come off insensitive, but $1500 on a cat? When I read the thread title I though I was just plain tired, but you're stressing over a cat having kitttens? People stress over debt, bad relationships, unruly kids, bad neighborhoods, and you're stressing over a cat having kittens? Its an animal for crying out loud. The back yard, a shovel is cheaper than $1500.

what does it matter to you what she spends on her pet? What does it matter to you if she stresses over something she loves possibly being hurt?

Here's an idea, why don't you take your shovel and your crying out loud, go out to your back yard and play with yourself?

Edited to add a "high five" to Baba.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I don't mean to come off insensitive, but $1500 on a cat?

Yes, cats can be expensive. So can dogs, and children. And while there are many things in life to stress about, sensitive people who care about animals (and I am one) are willing, if they can possibly afford it, to help all they can.

I might add that once our dog had puppies, and we thought one was stillborn. We rubbed it with a towel and it began to breathe.

A quiet place with food and water nearby is about all you can do right now. Sounds like you are doing great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit