McAfee's big blunder

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest social current

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I got this from my CNET email

McAfee's Big Blunder

The reputation of software security vendors like McAfee hinges on their ability to keep customers out of harm's way. It therefore doesn't sit well when the protector becomes responsible for a major systems meltdown.

Last Wednesday morning, McAfee pushed what would turn out to be a buggy update to its antivirus software. The problem was a whopper, one that caused widespread crashes for home and business users running Windows XP with Service Pack 3. Not good.

In addition to issuing an official apology , McAfee has promised to reimburse the users affected by the faulty software release.

I think I saw a post the other day about someone's computer melting down. This might be the problem.

On the McAfee website there is this message

An Update on False Positive Remediation Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 at 11:04 pm by Barry McPherson

As you know, McAfee on Wednesday released a faulty signature update file (DAT file) that caused problems for a number of our customers.

First off, I want to apologize on behalf of McAfee and say that we’re extremely sorry for any impact the faulty signature update file may have caused you and your organizations.

I want to give you a brief update on what has happened since we first became aware of the false detection. McAfee team members have been working around the clock to fix the problem and work with impacted customers. We estimate that the majority of the affected systems are back up and running at this time and more systems are coming back online quickly.

Early Thursday morning (at around 1 AM PT) we published a SuperDAT Remediation Tool to help customers fix affected systems. The tool suppresses the driver causing the false positive by applying an Extra.dat file in folder. It then restores the “svchost.exe” Windows file, the file quarantined as a result of the false detection.

The tool has been successful at remediating the problem caused by the faulty DAT update for multiple customers. The tool itself and more details on how it works are available in our knowledge base. Additionally, we have support team members onsite and on the phone to assist impacted customers.

Of course many of you are asking how the faulty DAT made it past our quality assurance checks. The problem arose during the testing process for this DAT file. We recently made a change to our QA environment that resulted in a faulty DAT making its way out of our test environment and onto customer systems.

To prevent this from happening again, we are implementing additional QA protocols for any releases that directly impact critical system files. In addition, we plan to add capabilities to our cloud-based Artemis system that will provide an additional level of protection against false positives by leveraging an expansive whitelist of critical system files. (More details are available in an FAQthat was published Thursday night.)

Again, on behalf of McAfee, I’m very sorry for how you may have been impacted by the faulty DAT file update and thank you for your continued support and cooperation as we work to remediate the situation.

Barry

So glad I am not a McAfee user.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yes, my computer crashed. Thanks to an alert poster here, I fixed it. I've been involved with another (non-computer - hopefully you will see a post soon) issue. When I have a minute, McAfee is going to get a letter.

• Terry
    Terry

I use a combination of Komodo (free) virus protection and Spybot Teatimer.

I have no Firewall.

In the last three years I have had no incidents of virus infections nor any crashes. Before that, with McAfee, I did all the time.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not saying anything about any company in particular - but,

Some of this stuff is designed more to sell software than it is to really protect anything.

I have long suspected (I work in this field) that some of the virus invasions may be related to the anti-virus programs.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The problem with McAfee wasn't that it let through a virus. The definition file they sent out on 4/22 identified the svchost. file as a virus and quarantined it. Since the computer won't run without it, they very effectively shut off a lot of computers. They put a patch on their website so you could go into safe mode and restore it, but it was a bonehead mistake.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My workplace was hit hard by this issue. Over 70 remote offices were brought to a grinding halt. This isn't the first time we've experienced outages that were related to our use of McAfee products. I refuse to use McAfee products on my home computers. I use Kapersky on my Windows computers and Norton on my Mac.

W

• baltar447
    baltar447

Terry, all current versions of Windows have a firewall running.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Terry, all current versions of Windows have a firewall running.

The Windows firewall can be disabled in either the control panel, the group policy editor, or when configuring the network adaptor. Personally I prefer a third party firewall to the Windows firewall.

W

• baltar447
    baltar447

FF, It's running by default unless you install a third party firewall or disable it manually, which would be a terrible idea if you aren't behind a router/firewall. Based on what programs Terry mentioned he is using, he isn't running in a domain, thus no group policy. He didn't mention it, but he could be using a router, or his broadband modem could be providing a NAT router thus protecting him. He did not mention the OS, but it's likely XP.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

The posted problem is chronic with McAfee. I had to restore three systems over ten years ago because of their terrible antvirus sw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit