Have you "Made the Truth Your Own"

by gubberningbody 14 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Yesidid, is that true? The composer left? That would be so cool to know who that was. So very appropriate too.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not that it was all that good (none of the Kingdumb maladies were, even before they further decimated them). But, that was one of the few that I actually memorized without needing the songbook.

As for whether I actually made the "truth" my own, I never actually got the chance. While I was learning it, those in charge kept adding their own rules that I could not agree with (things like dictating what kind of laundry soap I was to use). And, after he left the territory, I started having potential problems with issues around the complex hoops involved with sex, including that the hounders set me up to have to just meet other men at a$$emblies. As such, I never made the "truth" my own--by that time, I hated every aspect of it, along with Jehovah.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I used to like, and believe in the song and the expression, “Make The Truth Your Own”. Although the melody had some weird notes which were hard to get.

Interesting point that some of those who did MTTYO, are now out. Maybe because we wanted a r’ship with God, rather than be mindless robots. At least, that’s how I felt. When I was baptised, although I baptised under the new wording, I felt I was dedicating myself to God, not an org. And when I left the Borg, I did so because at the time my conscience bothered me when I felt I had to chose between serving God or the Borg.

Is that song in the new songbook?

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Wasn't that such a strange phrase? I remember the amount of times all the "young ones" in our hall were admonished to "make the truth your own." At the time, I remember elders saying it meant that we had to become conversant with all the knowledge of the Society's previous publications, that we needed to "deepen our relationship with Jehovah", and that we needed to "become mature Christians, able to take in solid food." I seem to remember that one CO told us that our "obedience to Bible standards in all areas of your life" shows that "you have become a real worshipper of Jehovah." Of course, I didn't realise then that what that actually meant was completely obeying every strange interpretation handed down by the Watchtowerite Priesthood!

Maybe they ought to change it to "make the bulls**t your own." It's more appropriate, after all.

Love to all

PP

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

If you make the truth your own, you also find yourself looking askance at the dubious morality behind the creation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit