Do you still pray? Why?

by gubberningbody 42 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Helpless children need to talk it out. I sometimes need to do that, though I know that no one is there or listening.

I do prefer praying to a jug of milk. At least there is some provision in that when I am done. I can quench my thirst. Praying to an empty heaven is less satiating.

Jeff

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

right now i'm praying for a way to get image from photobucket to here... i'm not in love with my avatar (no offense to the artist)

• Terry
    Terry

I stopped talking to myself while pretending someone "else" is listening for mental health purposes.

Pious schizophrenia isn't the solution to problems as much as it is a symptom of them.

Prayer was my way of allowing myself to think an activity of repair was in progress when in reality it was being avoided.

At best, I now regard prayer as a post-it note from the subconscious reminding my person to DO SOMETHING, YOU IDIOT!!

When others are hurting I don't tell them "I'll pray for you". Why? Because it really means "I care so much I'm only going to talk to myself about it."

Better to engage them and lighten their burden personally, up close and directly than in tacit self-dialogue before nappy time.

We address our woes, cares, anxieties and losses by taking action in the real world by rolling up our shirtsleeves and getting to work.

Incantations, magic words, bromides, recitations of Hallmark Greetings is a fool's errand if we really want solutions to problems.

That's just my own personal realization. Your mileage may vary, of course.

It is definitely very hard to give up a habit which makes us feel warm and yummy in times of stress. (No I'm not talking about masturbation.)

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

It is definitely very hard to give up a habit which makes us feel warm and yummy in times of stress.

Unless there is a transcendent God who exists outside of the material universe and actually does care about us.

Jeremiah 29: 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I still pray and I don't necessarily mention a name to whom I pray weather it be J/C or Yahwah or a guardian angel I'll just pray out aloud to whoever, just this morning I prayed on my way home from work , In times of crisis or just to say thanks I'll stop and say a prayer. I believe in multitudes of God heads weather it be Gods from Greek mythology or Gods from Norsk mythology even the planet Earth and Mother Nature are Godlike, I believe they are far more powerful then us mere homo sapiens therefore it gives me a desire to pray. There were some lovely comments from the first page of the thread and got me thinking.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody
    I like that.

When others are hurting I don't tell them "I'll pray for you". Why? Because it really means "I care so much I'm only going to talk to myself about it."

Better to engage them and lighten their burden personally, up close and directly than in tacit self-dialogue before nappy time.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I pray to my god and goddess who are the universe and nature. My prayers to them get answered 10 times more than any prayer to Jehovah ever did.

It makes a difference when one realizes that answers to prayers come from within (your responsibility) instead of without (Jehovah will fix everything).

• tec
    tec

Better to engage them and lighten their burden personally, up close and directly than in tacit self-dialogue before nappy time. - Terry

I can do both *gasp* simultaneously :-)

Edited to add: Especially if it brings someone else peace to know that they are being prayed for.

• RR
    RR
    Do you still pray? Why?

Yes, because I still believe.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

I just can't pray anymore not even when my baby was in special care. It’s not that I don't believe in a higher power it’s that if one exists they either don't care or have a lot of explaining to do.

I remember my last prayer vividly asking why I had been abandoned, since then the more I think about things the more I can't equate a caring God with the injustice and suffering of so many good and innocent people. In my heart I hope there is an answer and that one day I will understand, but for now I will learn to trust in others and my own inner strength.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit