Undeserved Kindness vs Grace - Watchtower flaw in a NUTSHELL

by sabastious 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The focus is always on making people feel bad and unworthy as a means to maintain control.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The way the WTBTS misuses this term is, ironically, a DIS-grace!

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Thanks so much for bumping this back up. I had been questioning this very thing. What really is grace?

In bible study we were told that God would grant us the grace to get through a trial. Undeserved kindness and loyal love do not seem to replace the word there.

I have been discouraged lately and this thread is really lifting me up. I will be readngg with rapt attention.

Sister Shades

• JRK
    JRK

Undeserved Kindness better not mess with Grace, she is a ball buster.

• Ding
    Ding

Sister Shades,

If it would help to chat via PM, feel free to contact me.

That applies to anyone who is interested in this topic.

• Bella15
    Bella15

When I understood "GRACE" I kneeled down and cried and thanked God for giving me such a great GIFT ...

I used to read in the bible how people rejoiced, shouted, singed, praised God for his love, mercy, grace, now I understand that feeling because whenever I realize the gift of GRACE I feel like jumping and yelling thanks GOD!

• Ding
    Ding

Bella15,

It breaks my heart to see so many JWs working hard to merit Jehovah's approval and yet constantly feeling like worthless failures.

What sort of "good news" is that?

I'm very glad to hear that things have turned around for you like this.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Right on Bella! Grace not only leads to shouting praise from the housetops, it also leads to repentance and holiness.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world Tit 2:11-12

Grace means that we are covered, from all directions. Had a teacher ask me why I knew I was going to heaven. I told her that Jesus Christ had forgiven every sin I've ever committed. Not only that, but He accepts me as I am totally in my present very imperfect state. Not only that, but all my future sins are coverd by th blood of Christ and nothing can possibly seperate me form the love of God. She told me I had a very positive religion.

But the truth is, that is not my religion...that's the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

But the truth is, that is not my religion...that's the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hallelujah!

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

This is one more example of various groups going to extremes in thinking. On one hand, the WT uses the expresssion "undeserved kindness" throughout, which in certain contexts (such as John 1:14 and the verse above, Ro 1:7) does not make sense, and in the other, we have some people pulling away from the basic idea of cha'ris, which carries the following idea:

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

The New International Dictionary of New Testament Words: (charis), grace, gracefulness, graciousness, favour, thanks, gratitude” “(charisma), gift given out of goodwill.” (Vol. 2, p. 115)

James MacArthur: “One of the best-known definitions of grace is only three words: God's unmerited favor."

William Barclay: “The whole basic idea of the word [cha'risma, closely related to cha'ris] is that of a free and undeserved gift, of something given to a man unearned and unmerited, something which comes from God's grace and which could never have been achieved or attained or possessed by a man's own effort.” (New Testament Words, 1974, p. 63)

"This word [grace] has always two basic ideas in it. (a) It always has the idea of something completely undeserved. [...] (b.) It always has the idea of beauty in it. In modern Greek the word means charm..." (The gospel of John, p. 66, Barclay)

In some Bible contexts, it is acceptable to render it as "undeserved kindness," where as in others it is better to render it, as "gracious favor" "loving kindness" "loving favor," etc. Hence, the biblical advice:

“ Watch carefully in case any one of you should fall away from God's gracious favour and a resentment develop in him which could contaminate others.” (Hebrews 12:15 , 21 st Century NT)

"Now if it is by undeserved kindness, it is no longer due to works; otherwise, the undeserved kindness no longer proves to be undeserved kindness." (Ro 11:6, NWT)

“ Consequently, what shall we say? Shall we continue in sin, that undeserved kindness may abound? Never may that happen! Seeing that we died with reference to sin, how shall we keep on living any longer in it?” (Romans 6:1,2, NWT)

Thus, it is a good thing to emphasize the positive aspect and beauty conveyed by "grace," but we cannot do away entirely of the Christian responsibility toward God. One group misuses the Greek word to extract more and more from their followers, and the other group hides behind the popular English word "grace" and the expression, "Once saved always saved" to excuse their poor conduct among men. The writings of Paul argue against those extremes. Balance is the key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit