Welcome Mentallyfree31

by Think About It 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

Post 1 of Mentallyfree31

Welcome Gutted. You have been given excellent advice by many of the posters here. I figured out that WT was a cult on December 19, 2009. I started to fade immediately, but slowly. Now it's four months later, and I have quit going completely, and will never go back. Here are a few suggestions from my experience.

(1) Read Crisis of Conscience and Steve Hassan's "Combatting Cult Mind Control" immediately, as many others have already suggested.

(2) When the elders call to encourage, just tell them that you will see them at the next meeting. That usually ends the matter of encouragement right then and there.

(3) As JWFACTS suggested, do NOT make any decisions hastily. You have been in this cult for a while, so there is no rush. When you first discover these things, you naturally want to react immediately. But take your time. You need several months to deconstruct WT beliefs and process these emotions. Also, visit his website at http://www.jwfacts.com, as there is a ton of valuable information there.

(4) You may also very likely find yourself waking up thinking "but I know JW is the truth". This is natural, because it was so indoctrinated in us. They have told us this over and over and over at the meetings. It takes time to let go of these fears that have been put inside us.

(5) Leaving a cult is not easy. But as long as you keep your mouth shut and don't reveal anything to anybody - you remain in control of the situation.

(6) Focus on the positives - (a) you are leaving a cult (b) you are on a road to gaining your freedom back (c) you are taking back control of your life (d) you are still young, so you may very likely see some of your JW friends eventually figure things out and come knocking at your door wanting to resume a friendship

(7) Start making friends right away outside the organization. As suggested by others, this will help to make your transition a bit easier.

Welcome to the board Mentallyfree31........seen your great first post on another thread and wanted to give you your own welcome.

Think About It

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks for the welcome. I was pretty deep into the Watchtower organization all my life. I had pioneered for several years, served at Bethel doing temp work, and had been a ministerial servant for well over a decade.

I remember the feelings inside when I was reading Ray's books, Captives of a Concept and Steve Hassan's first book. I absolutely could not believe it. It's amazing that Ray wrote his book so long ago, and it's been available all along, but i never knew anything about it, nor would i have read it if i had seen it.

But I'm glad to be out. There is no better feeling.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Welcome

• Gayle
    Gayle

Welcome "Mentallyfree"

I am so thrilled to see new ones here and so happy you have been reading and freeing your mind and coming to terms of the negative life of JWdom. I, too, was raised in it since 9 yrs old, pioneered 5 yrs and Brooklyn Bethel 5 yrs. This was long ago and I have left it since mid 80s but had a residual impact another 10 yrs. due to my children's father. However, gratefully, my children never baptized and are free for the most part of much JW baggage.

I wish you the best future. There certainly is a better life beyond JWs.

• tec
    tec

Welcome, MentallyFree31 -

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

welcome Mentallyfree31 and great first post!

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks everybody for the comments. I have been buried in reserach and books for months, so I'm just making an entrance to the online world of ex-JWs. Fortunately, I had two brothers who were already OUT, and when the time came where I was ready to look at hards facts, they pointed me to exactly the right books to read.

It's been quite exhilerating to discover that I was living in a bubble, and that there is a whole wide world out there of knowledge of research and understanding. Just the freedom to consider any/all points of view without fear or guilt is a wonderful feeling.

• peaches
    peaches

HI....

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Nice shout out, Think

And welcome to the board, mentallyfree
    I hope you have fun here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit