Will a person be "marked" for playing in a rock band?

by hoser 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

If a brother or sister is musically talented and decides to play at clubs or dance halls for money will they receive counsel from the elders??

• blondie
    blondie

I knew several elders who had a band and played at weddings, etc. It would be considered a rock band. They dressed rather conservatively and had last choice over any songs they did.

Does it have to be a "rock" band?

What about Michael Jackson?

George Benson?

Prince?

Larry Graham?

• man in black
    man in black

In my old hall you were marked by several elders Renfrow was the leader,) if you dared to be a male and become a teenager !

Suddenly you were "sex crazed" and every trick in the book was used to degrade you ,,, unless you were a pioneer.

And if you were interested in playing music together, oh boy, I noticed several times this guy literally blow up at teenagers for actually daring

to play together !

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

YES , at least in our hall . Several times over the yrs teens would start a band together and they got nothing but grief from the brothers over it . One poor Elders son had to quit playing music with a group of brothers, and he was so talented ....next thing I know he is playing kingdom songs on his guitar at gatherings . What a waste of talent and youthful fun .

• flipper
    flipper

HOSER- I have a nephew ( he hasn't attended meetings for a year now ) who got hassled by his JW wife for playing guitar in a band at clubs and he received grief , er " counsel " from the elders to stop playing as well. He just told them he enjoyed playing music, it was a part of him and he kept playing. The elders and WT society will try to control EVERY aspect of a person's life if we let them. The point is- don't let them

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** g89 2/22 p. 15 I Found ‘One in a Million’ ***

The things I was learning are apparent from the record covers of some of the albums my group produced. The 1976 album entitled Mirror showed on the cover photographs of me and other band members. On one side we appeared with long hair, sunglasses, and faddish clothing, while on the other a mirror-image depicted us as clean-cut, with shorter hair, and modest styles of dress.

The songs included one entitled “Forever.” It was dedicated to my hope of seeing my father in the resurrection, when life forever will be in front of us. The words of one song reflected my feelings as a newly baptized Witness....

We have had many opportunities to share our faith. An organist and a drummer responded and dedicated their lives to Jehovah. That drummer is now an elder and a regular pioneer in the West Hollywood Congregation....

On this tour, following our baptism, we made a giant audiovisual display with 15-foot [4.6 m] screens. This was the feature of the show. It required the use of two large semitrailer trucks and two tour buses. The audiovisual show depicted the horrors of world conditions and then pointed to the solution through God’s Kingdom. The slides included photographs of the Oakland Coliseum convention and our own baptism. This was set to music, and I gave a commentary between the songs.

During one tour, I was out in the field service in Hollywood, Florida, and we were being assigned to work from door to door by the one conducting the group. Suddenly, I heard one of my records being played at a house nearby. I knocked on the door, and the three young men there getting high on drugs were dumbfounded suddenly to see standing at their door the singer of the song they were listening to! I have since learned that two of these men have become Witnesses.

• peaches
    peaches

depends on the hall your in and the type of elders you have...

• upnorth
  • heathen
    heathen

I know they don't mind "lite" rock . metal and hard rock would likely get you a JC. They were also opposed to grunge style clothing and tatoos or piercings .

• cantleave
    cantleave

It depends on the CO and BOE. I work with an elder who plays semi-professionally in a Rock Band and they are damn good!).

He was given a hard time by the last CO, but he said that the additional income generated allowed his wife to regular pioneer. The CO allowed the other elders in the congregation to make a judgement as to whether his playing in the band had a negative effect on the other publishers.

He is still an elder and his wife still pioneers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit