Oh boy! Don't even try to communicate with a JW relative. It don't work!

by outlander 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

That's another blatantly obvious thing Dubs ignore. Sheer numbers and statistics. They never stop to think that their "worldwide" work is actually just a thread hanging from a fringe on the cuff of world society. For a congregation of 100 Dubs there are 100,000 "worldly" people. If there is one thief out of a million people in general (I made this number up for comparison purposes) then that is one thief in 10 congregations or approximately two thieves in an entire circuit of Dubs.

A Dub will rarely bother thinking about anything like this. They don't even realize they're a 1000-to-1 minority on this planet. And they certainly think they're so morally superior that even if there is 1 in a million in "the world" who is a thief that in their "spiritual paradise" they believe there are actually and truly zero.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I can totally relate. Several of my relatives become very defensive even if you mention anything nice about a non-JW. They are quick to tell you that the person is being deceptive long enough for me to drop my guard and then BOOM...the person will try to get you fornicate, do drugs or steal money, etc.

Its completely insane. Just recently, a relative got upset and started shouting at the top of her voice that she knows about "worldly people" and if someone doesn't love Jehovah then you can't trust them. If you bring up the elders, servants and pioneers that have stolen KH funds, swindled money from others in the congregation, stolen or have done jail time (1 day to a few weeks) and then lie that they were on vacation...the response is simply that they got caught up in this system of things or had "worldly" friends that influenced them to do it.

Insane...

• cult classic
    cult classic

I had a relative recently debate me to the death (well not really....lol) about this:

me: I believe that most worldly people want to live in peace and love.

relative: Are you kidding me? Do you see all of the problems in the world? These worldly people want to see you dead!

me: I don't believe that. If most worldly people were violent and hateful, there would be more problems than what we see today. There is lots of violence and hatred in the world but there would be worldwide anarchy if most worldly people wanted to kill each other. JWs are not keeping the world from self destructing.

relative: You are so naive, you better be careful because in the world, even in this country most people you encounter want to see you suffer and die!

me: really?

Cult Classic

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hah! I've had things stolen from my house on two occasions, and both times the thieves were Jehovah's Witnesses!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Well, I am sure if you left your purse to walk around and talk to others in any other church, you would have no problem leaving your belongings behind either....after all, people go to church because they love God and have no desire of deliberately displeasing him, let alone doing it in his house...

However, just as at the assemblies we were told not to leave your purse or any valuables at your seat unattended, because there may be some there that are not JWs, I am sure the same would apply to other churches..

JWs would like to believe they are the only ones who have any sort of moral compass! I was quite enlightened when I went to my first church service after leaving the Borg...I was raised a strict JW so you can imagine what I had believed churches to be like...WOW..was I ever wrong!! They had been lying to me my whole life!! It was like going to a JW convention...except there are WAY more baptized each week!! :) They even have a baptizmal pool up front where they baptize in front of everyone each week and they clap, etc...just like at a convention..

Sadley as you know your sister is in a CULT and is completely brainwashed, just like so many of us were....it is extreemly hard to reason with a JW, because they either do what your sister did, or will steer clear of you so you can't even talk to them at all...like my brother does to our family that has left.

Hang in there..you never know what may cause her to question things..

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• outlander
    outlander

I noticed a couple of interesting comments in the other posts. 1. That no J.W. actually realizes just how small their organization is compared to the total world population count. 2. That if all, or even most, so called worldly people were as bad as the J.W's think then the state of the world would actually be 100's of times worse than it is now. A comment of my own, I don't know how many nonchristian religions there are in the world, but it seems to me that if Jesus actually meant for his teachings to be spread worldwide then it would have been done hundreds or a thousand years ago. I mean, someone who actually is the son of God Himself surely would have had the power to convert, or appear to members of every religion, population group, ect, in the ancient world and spread his ideas/beliefs. Why write down highly cryptic/symbolic messages in a book and then leave the interpretation of their meanings open to every crackpot with a "FOLLOW ME CUZ I ALONE UNDERSTAND THE WORD OF GOD" complex? It just don't make any sense to me. Like God being a god of love and peace and then having the ancient Israelites slaughter every man, woman and child in the land of Canaan. Even the babies for Pete's sake!! Makes no sense. I pride myself on my ability to spot bull#@#@ when I see or hear it and so much of the accepted Word of God just seems off somehow. Yet, it's hard to consider the Universe as just a state of anarchy. Enough, I'm kinda ranting here. MUST DRINK MORE ICED BLACK COFFEE ---- NOW!

Outlander ---- Username taken from the James Axler books, Deathlander and Outlander series.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Yet, it's hard to consider the Universe as just a state of anarchy

If you could prove there was a god, you still wouldn't have proved that JW God, or Goat Herder God, or any god of any culture on the planet was real.

Does any religious literature actually contain God's thoughts about man? or are they all man's thoughts about gods?

Cheers

Chris

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

When the JW get angry, yell, stomp away, de-friend you from FB or in reallife. Is it because what you/I/we said to them is emotionally too painful to deal with?

I can question others' (worldly) people's beliefs and they don't freak.

lisa

• Heaven
    Heaven

There is a seething anger in a lot of JWs lurking just beneath the "we're-the-happiest-people-on-the-face-of-the-Earth" facade they walk around with. I have seem this anger burst forth at the oddest times among my JW family members. I think it's because deep down, these people know that it's getting harder and harder to defend their faith and it pisses them off.

outlander, I try to pick subject matter that they identify with and cannot deny. The 2 I presently use are:

1) The 100% inaccuracy of the 'Coming of Armageddon Soon" mantra/belief. They cannot deny this and I point out to them how it makes them look incompetent to keep saying this when it never happens. It helps that I am 46 and that my Mom tried to convince my bro and I not to go to college almost 30 years ago because the end of this system of things is so close.

2) The pedophilia. There was one in my parents previous congregation so it's something my Dad cannot deny. It was in the news and is now on the Internet so it cannot be swept under the rug as not having happened. It makes my Dad mucho uncomfortable and cannot be denied.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit