JW's being asked not to marry?

by life is to short 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK another poster just went to the two day assembly and I just went to the one day special assembly day Sunday. At both of them it seems there was strong words against getting married. They had on the stage a group of young men about three of them an older sister who is not that attractive but she is really nice, of course not brother would give her the time of day, and this older brother who is in his 60's and nice but very strange.

They all went on and on and on about not getting married. How Jehovah has blessed them and how it is the best way of life, etc.

The elder giving the part was going and on about how Jehovah is telling us not use our time wisely and how the systems end is so close that could we not hold off getting married until the new system.

I was thinking here the JW's slam the Catholic's about not marrying and yet they are doing the same thing only worse. At least only the nuns and priests are forbidden to marry but with JW's it is everyone now well it has always been everyone nothing has changed I guessed because they promoted this in the 40's 50' and such also but now they seem to be back on it.

This is a really sick cult. What about 1 Timothy 4 1-3 where it says "However, the inspired utterances says definitely that in the later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; FORBIDDING TO MARRY, commanding to abstain from foods....." well you get the point.

It very clearly says that this is the hypocrisy of men who speak lies. What more can I say.

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Sorry for the missed placed words the elder giving the part went on and on about how getting married robs us of time we could give to Jehovah. It would be so great if we could not get married and give every second to Jehovah, we would need to work less and thus have more time for Jehovah, less time on distracting things that a mate would want us to spend time with them. Thus more time for Jehovah. Etc. Again sorry for the misplaced words. It is just so stupid their reasoning.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

They need to marry to breed new WT-fodder, as recruitement cannot be an option anymore.

• designs
    designs

Odd views on marriage go back to Russell; Rutherford, Knorr, Fred and other leaders all had herniated views on the opposite and beautiful sex.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I always thought it was ironic when married elders would be giving talks on the “gift of singleness” (blegh).

If it was a single guy who obviously loved the single life, it would be more convincing.

Same as brothers with kids giving talks on not having kids, fulltime workers talking about pioneering, etc etc.

• blondie
  • JWoods
    JWoods

The society has flipped back and forth on this issue over the years. I remember that they were strongly anti-marriage before 1975.

After 1975, a period of pro-marriage, pro-family articles appeared in the magazines. (Natural childbirth was a popular subject). At the time, I put it down to a cynical desire to have families to bring back the fading numbers from the 1975 let down. This was still going on when I left by 1980.

From time to time the anti-marriage probably still comes up, but I cannot help but think that secretly they are dependent for procreation of the R&F for increased numbers in non-third world countries.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

This is just more sick life stealing false doctrine, not only can’t JWs lead a normal life, but now they must be single freaks on their own.

This won't help them build up more numbers, but numbers isn’t what they want. I think they just like to play with people and see what hoops they can make them jump through. It’s got to adapt or come to an end someday the WTBTS I mean after all you can't keep telling people the end is near for another hundred years or more.

So what does the future hold for JWs? Congs full of single freakish bachelors with no family or education. Trapped by poverty clinging to an impossible hope, because everything else has passed them by.

Of course there will always be those who say that’s nice and still carry on doing what they want because let’s face it they don’t really believe, but are happy to stay in.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I can not believe that line of thinking STILL goes on ........but do the young ones really buy into it ???

Sometimes for show and pats on the back I think they go along with it for a while , just so as not to be pressured into marriage @18 . But come on if you are even half way good looking what witness kid by 21 isn't looking to get ....ummmm you know laid.

If it wasn't this counsel it was waiting to have children in the new system line of BS..... I was pregnant at the summer convention 1987 that had the talk "Responsible child Rearing in this Time of The End " ,which was basically a talk about how irresponsible it was to have babies then because the end was sooo very near . What a blessing couples were finding by holding off having children ....Made me feel like crawling under a rock

The Elder I recently talked to said his daughter and husband after 8 yrs of marriage have decided to have a baby ......and he made it sound like a sad thing .....until I kept saying how awesome it would be to have a grandchild and what fun it will be for him and his wife ....only then did he let his cult personality down a bit and agree it will be fun having a baby around again .......geeeez

A pioneer sister I ran into last year said her daughter had a friend that just had a baby and she just hpoed it didn't give her daughter any ideas of starting a family . When I asked 'WHY' because I can't wait to have grand children ???? She just looked at me with sad glazed over eyes and said "Oh but we live in such troubled times and the END is just so close " very very sad ......

• JWoods
    JWoods

Of course there will always be those who say that’s nice and still carry on doing what they want because let’s face it they don’t really believe, but are happy to stay in.

I agree - this kind of advice is usually only taken by less than about one out of 10 young witnesses. It is still a sick way to try to mess with other people's lives, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit