Are Jehovah Witness Members Trolling Obituaries For New Recruits?

by Bangalore 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Are Jehovah Witness Members Trolling Obituaries For New Recruits?

http://dullardmush.blogspot.com/2009/02/are-jehovah-witness-members-trolling.html

Bangalore

• blondie
    blondie

For years jws have been writing to families of people listed in the obituaries, more than 50 years in my lifetime even as far back as 1954 in the pubs. It was originally intended for bedridden or housebound jws but many able-bodied jws do it because it is easy time. While they WTS points to one case where it did some good, I have had non-jw relatives ask me who these people are and why they wrote to them. Evidently everyone doesn't appreciate a sermon sent to them at a time others might think them vulnerable to their point of view.

*** w54 8/15 p. 491 Bearing Fruit in Old Age ***One of these, whose crippled feet permit little walking and no climbing of stairs, watches obituary columns for addresses of bereaved ones to whom he sends a letter of comfort together with a booklet containing a message of like import

*** w56 11/15 p. 688 Preaching by Writing Letters ***At one of the Society’s Bethel homes a brother, close to eighty years old, unable to climb stairs because of heart trouble, sends letters of comfort together with literature to those whose addresses appear in the obituary column because of having lost a loved one

*** w67 6/1 p. 345 Letters—Not Outdated ***

The minister soon found that, since she had made the original call, he had received a letter from a Witness who obtained his name and address from the obituary column in the newspaper. Though the man was a stranger to her, she had written a kind letter explaining the Bible’s glorious hope of a resurrection. The man concluded that surely he ought to look into an organization that would take the time to go from door to door and to write letters of comfort to people.

*** km 1/70 p. 8 pars. 1-4 Presenting the Good News—By Letter ***A crippled sister in Philadelphia finds it necessary to carry on most of her witnessing activity by writing letters. She keeps very busy in her service to Jehovah and she enjoys good success in her work, receiving many replies to her letters. What does she write in her letters? To whom does she write? Where does she get her addresses?

This sister is very busy and very happy in the theocratic privileges that are hers. No matter what our situation in life, all of us can have a share in making the good news available to others, too. Those of us who are physically able will want to use our time and energy in the house-to-house work and other regular features of the ministry. It is not intended that able-bodied publishers and pioneers spend much of their time writing letters. But those who are bedridden, or confined to their homes for various reasons, either permanently or temporarily because of illness, bad weather, or for other reasons, may be able to make good use of their time and energy in Jehovah’s service as outlined above. We appreciate the urgency of the times. Our having as full a share as possible in Jehovah’s service is important, as the time left is reduced. Many in the congregation know that this sister has had good success in witnessing by mail. So they give her names and addresses of individuals to whom they would like her to write. She writes to individuals that she and other publishers have met in the hospital. One brother met a businessman who lived in another part of the country. This man showed interest in the truth. So the brother gave his name and address to this sister, who continued to develop the interest by mail. Some names she gets from the obituary column. Or if there is information in the local paper about new mothers, or engaged individuals, she writes them, sharing good news from the Scriptures to encourage them as they embark upon their new responsibilities. The overseer has gone into the lobbies of apartment houses where the publishers cannot get in to witness, and he has copied the names and apartment numbers off the mailboxes so that this sister can contact these individuals by mail. Names and addresses have been obtained from the phone book as well as other sources. To read one of her letters you would think that she was standing at your door talking to you. Often it starts: “Good morning. My name is————. I am ‘writing to share with you some information the Bible provides on ‘finding the true religion.’ I do hope this will brighten your day.” In continuing the letter she usually uses the presentation outlined in the KingdomMinistry, putting it in her own words. Yes, she writes her letter just as if she were talking to the person in a friendly manner, face to face.

*** yb95 p. 47 Worldwide Report ***Now 94, she is still busy witnessing. Recently she completed a year of auxiliary pioneer service. She is able to walk a little with a cane—enough to take advantage of the opportunities presented when neighbors, friends, relatives, salesmen, postmen, or anyone else calls. Still she has to do most of her witnessing with a pen. She finds names and addresses in the obituary columns in the daily paper and writes to some of these

• sherah
    sherah

Obit-trolling is very popular with the dubs in my area. They hit up online obits, print obits and ride around to funeral homes in territory looking for 'lost' souls.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

does this mean if i was still in i could go cemetary witnessing in my hearse?

on a side note, i'm sure my ex trolls the obits... looking for my death notice ha!

oz

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I knew they were desperate, but dead people? Well, they'll fit in with the other mindless Zombies.

*rimshot* Don't forget to tip your host, I'll be here all week.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The elder who studied with me before baptism suggested using the obits for two purposes; one to help make my pioneer hours during the harsh Western PA winters and also for prospective cleaning jobs. I did send jw letters and literature a few times, but I felt too predatory using them for cleaning jobs. Afer my first winter of pioneering, I just made sure I put in extra time during good weather in the door to door work.

• dgp
    dgp

Marked because this is awful. It must have backfired more than once.

• Bangalore
  • chickpea
    chickpea

a woman at the KH i attended had a disturbing attachment
    to the practice, after the death of her toddler who had CP....

she was fervently "religious" to get tracts out in the mail
    the week of any obit with an address, and being small
    town rural, it wasn't that hard to look addresses up

• blondie
    blondie

When a close non-jw family member died, we received only 1 card from a jw, except for that letter and a publication in the mail from a jw that evidently did not recognize my married name. Imagine, I got a card from a stranger and one jw (considered "weak"), and nothing from anyone else. I pointed that out to the elders and they said the person who died was not a jw, so what could I expect......and said that people giving a quick condolence before the next meeting counted as "caring." Even then it was only 4 more people out of 90. My non-jw family asked me if it was against our religion to send condolence cards. (To myself I said, against their religion of not spending a penny more than necessary on anyone but themselves).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit