Age of Adam

by goddidit 18 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's a fairy tale to begin with and a Mickey Mouse operation re-worked it to fit their particular needs.

I really love you and your insight, UC.

I am going to steal that (with your permission) and use it for my own needs, possibly in a book.

• undercover
    undercover
    I am going to steal that (with your permission) and use it for my own needs, possibly in a book.

heh heh as long as I get royalties... or at least a "thank you" in the author's notes...

• sir82
    sir82
    Bible scholars agree that this verse describes an action separate from the creative days recounted from verse 3 onward. The implication is profound. According to the Bible’s opening statement, the universe, including our planet Earth, was in existence for an indefinite time before the creative days began.

Unfortunately, the Bible itself contradicts that.

Exodus 20:11 (New International Version)

11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

According to the writer of Exodus, whom the JWs say was the same person as the writer of Genesis, the 6 days included the creation of "heaven", "earth", and "all that is in them".

Of course, the JW MO is to ignore any Biblical texts which do not fit their theology. Thus Exodus 20:11 is virtually never cited in any articles.

• undercover
    undercover

Good point, sir...

I remember when AlanF pointed that scripture out when I first started really examining the WT creation doctrine.

Damn that pesky Bible for screwing up a perfectly good fairy tale.

• Terry
    Terry

Bible scholars agree that this verse describes an action separate from the creative days recounted from verse 3 onward. The implication is profound. According to the Bible’s opening statement, the universe, including our planet Earth, was in existence for an indefinite time before the creative days began.

I love their including Bible Scholars in their answer. It is like putting a girl in a bikini next to an automobile. It makes it sexy.

The Watchtower wouldn't know a scholar from six feet away. They don't have any.

What follows is such typical Watchtower Think. Putting something significant where nothing exists at all.

I'm sure the Watchtower headquarters gets thousands of letters a month asking embarrassing questions they don't dare answer specifically.

Among those would be from smart people who are ready to ridicule creationist and intelligent design policy statements.

So, these intellectual criminals at headquarters figure out a way to have it both ways. A giant GAP of Wiggle Room that can mean absolutely anything they ever want it to mean.

How do they back this up? By obliquely alluding to Bible Scholars.

Okay, I'll bite, WHICH BIBLE SCHOLARS? Do they have names? When and where did they say this?

The writing committe will never own up to the fact they read Christendom's commentaries!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've caught quotes from works of other secular writers and other religions scholars that they never credit.

The new "Creation" book has parts quoted almost word for word from Gerald Schroeders book, The Science of God...one of the charts is taken right from his book.

And he never gets credit for it. Schroeder is an MIT trained physicist, but he's also a Jewish Biblical scholar. He's one of those smart guys who manages to combine Darwin and some elements of creationism pretty well.

I think the Witnesses cherry pick out of his book what fits with their stuff, they would hate the part where Adam wasn't the first hominid, I'm sure. *G*

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"Bible scholars" most definitely do not agree on this point. Some regard v. 1 as a summary statement for the whole chapter, with v. 2 describing the initial state before creation. Others take v. 1 as a subordinate clause (e.g. "When God began to create the heavens and the earth, the earth was ..."). Most recognize that the creation of heaven and earth referred to in v. 1 is described in v. 6-8 (the common English translation of the same Hebrew words as "sky" and "land" obscures this).

• misocup
    misocup

Yes I remember something about a gap between the creation of Adam and of Eve. Leaving any amount of time we'd have to wait.

I remember being told that all of creation literally happened in approximately 49K years, and that Bigfoot was really demons because they smell bad.

Honestly, I've been out 25 years and I am shocked at how different the teachings are. I remember always hearing about "new light", I thought it was meant to be really NEW and not re-vamped, or ditched OLD teachings.

• wobble
    wobble

So, in the light of that scripture from Exodus 20v11, the six days of creation were 15 billion years long at least, so the seventh day is at least 2.5 billion years long.

Plenty of time yet then.

wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit