Working with JWs

by Ivor Hope 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

I've only had the opportunity to work with two JWs since I left the Borg. One was well aware of my history and my present beliefs, yet was a real prince of a person, honest, hard working and considerate to all he encountered including myself. The other, who was a cong, servant, was a young up-and-coming party liner, but worked hard and was highly respected by his fellow longshoremen. So, I guess my experiance with JWs in the work force has been pretty good, considering.

carmel

• ISP
    ISP

BTW, Ivor...welcome to the board!

ISP

• razorMind
    razorMind

The few JW's I worked with were so damned NOSY it wasn't even funny. Complete busybodies in everybody else's business--especially when I was still one of them. Always trying to keep an eyeball cocked on my every move.

Also, when I was one of them, they'd shop in the grocery store where I worked and actually expect me to give them the hook-up with discounted prices or free items slipped under the counter. I'd just look at 'em like they were crazy.

Also, the ones I worked with were total kiss-asses, always brownnosing the boss.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Hi Ivor!! Great to see you again! I've thought about you off and on and wondered if you were still "hanging in there" or if you had finally made it all the way out. Is your website still operational?

I've worked with several JWs, but never "for" any JWs. The ones I worked with seemed to be pretty decent workers, although I didn't work directly with them, so I couldn't say for sure.

I do remember, however, two JWs sisters who would sit in the ladies' room for several hours waiting to go home when the company had their annual Christmas buffet. The buffet started at Noon, but people weren't allowed to leave until 2 p.m. These two sisters would bring in their sandwiches and take them into the ladies' room to eat, and then they would just sit there until 2 p.m. Really strange.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Thank you, Carmel, for putting some balance in the discussion.

I have no doubt there are bad JWs to work with and for...a certain coffee company in Ottawa comes to mind...

But my experience has been fairly good.

My bathroom needed renovating, and my landlady told me to hire someone. I hired a brother who told us he would have it done in a week tops. since he was experienced and a nice guy, I hired him.

He took three weeks and worked long days! Every time we asked him when he would be done, he'd say, "About two more days."

Later, he told us he lied right from the beginning, and all along.

However, he did a fantastic job on the bathroom! It is beautiful! His work is amazing. I'd hire him in a sec, and just multiple his schedule by five...

I worked for a year and a half with a sister who was a "strong" JW. To avoid possible work problems, I presented myself to her as a worldly guy with "JW relatives, so I am an expert on JWs." I never bothered her about JW stuff. She witnessed to me from time to time, but was not pushy.

She was honest about different brother's weird traits and various cong going ons. She toured Patterson and told me it was luxurious.

She disagreed with any criticisms of the Society and had reasons to back her views. I don't agree with many of her reasons, but I can see why she thinks they are reasonable.

She was the office manager and worked long hours and very hard, including weekends. She would do holiday stuff though. She was honest, and a straight-shooter. She had one hell of a temper and I had to apologize at least twice to her.

the only things I did not like about her were: 1)She was very opinionated and told me straight out that she hated the fact I lived common-law with WindRider. 2) The way she treated her daughter for leaving the JWs. 3) the way she treated me for breaking a commitment I made.

She eventually asked me straight out if I was a JW. I told her officially I was, and asked if she was going to shun me. She said no as we were business associates and never socialized anyway.

She never shunned me or treated me badly in anyway afterwards.

Most of the office got laid off, including her and I. I told her to use me as a reference if she wanted to and that I would give her a deservedly glowing reference. I told she was a true Christian, in the best sense of the word.

Richard

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    I do remember, however, two JWs sisters who would sit in the ladies' room for several hours waiting to go home when the company had their annual Christmas buffet. The buffet started at Noon, but people weren't allowed to leave until 2 p.m. These two sisters would bring in their sandwiches and take them into the ladies' room to eat, and then they would just sit there until 2 p.m. Really strange

This is not strange at all. They were trying to avoid either celebrating Christmas or the appearance of it and stumbling fellow co-workers.

Yeah, co-workers will think that sometimes, even if you just sit in on a Christmas dinner. I have seen it happen, and the co-workers complained about it for ten years after it stopped. What the brother actually did was very innocent (he ate some oranges out of a Christmas gift for the office).

Many companies, to avoid problems will have "year-end" dinner and "year-end" parties instead of Christmas parties. One company I worked for allowed you to take your holidays at any time of the year. This was especially good for JWs and Muslims. I think such companies are to be commended for their consideration.

Richard

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I worked with the sister that studied with me at two different companies. She was the hardest and most honest worker there.

However, the people that cleaned the first office we worked together in were a witness couple. The boss hated them because the guy did a fairly crappy job and was constantly whining and getting into arguments with him.

I know a brother that was a painter that fired two of his workers when he found out they were gay.

• rhett
    rhett

I've done computer repair for a couple companies in my area and there were usually a JW or 2 in the offices that I worked in. They knew me and my history pretty well and that I'm not the least bit ashamed of it. I would always have fun with them and go up and say hi and talk to people around them. You should have seen them squirm!!!! "Ack, here's an apostate but I don't want to look like some psycho and totally ignore them, what do I do?!?!?!?!" What was really funny was that one them her husband was on the judicial committee that disfellowshipped my best friend for apostacy! Even other people in the office noticed that when she had to talk to me (like when I would be making changes to all the computers) she would never look at me.
    So yeah, I've worked around (though never quite with) JW's though I really loved it and thought it quite enjoyable. I'd even volunteer to work in their areas so they'd have to deal with the evil apostate!

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

I've been really interested in the responses to my original post, and it shows that there is a general "attitude" to work amongst many JWs.

I know there are a lot of hard working witnesses out there ( I was one :-) ), but there does seem to be a general concensus that there are more than a few bad workers and employers. Of course, there are also many poor workers from all different backgrounds. The reason I made the point is because of the way JW's are always patting themsewlves on the back as to how hard working and honest they all are, and how any employer would prefer to have JWs rather than anybody else.

I plan to post something soon about the questionable work practices of the Witness retirement/nursing homes in the UK. That is very revealing!

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Hi RedhorseWoman

Thanks for the comment. Yes I am still around and yes the web site is still active. I revamped it a while ago, but am planning to add quite a lot in the near future.

I am totally free of the collective now and glad of it. By coming out the way I did I have managed to take quite a few family members with me.

Did I know you by a different name?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit