Working with JWs

by Ivor Hope 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Has anyone out there had experience of working for or with JWs?

Is it just me, or are they the worst people to work with....they "use" anybody for their own ends, they expect everyone else to make allowances for their life style but are not prepared to make allowances for anyone else's, they do as little as they can for as long as they can and have absolutely no loyalty to their employers or fellow workers!!

My recent experience is that they also will be "economical" with the truth (the real truth), as long as it benefits them.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I would never want to work with or for another witness ever again! Thank God I'm don't have the "HOPE" for the future anymore...can you imagine living in a world inhabited by nothing but Jehovah's Witnesses!!!!!!! [>:(]

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, Ivor. Welcome to the forum.

JW's are many different individuals, so I can't say all of them would not be good to work with. They are just doing their best to follow their leaders, which is not in their own or anyone else's best interests in most cases.

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

Thanks Mum,

You are right of course. However, some of the things I have come across recently really do make you wonder. JW employers only paying less than the minimum wage, not paying for public holidays because they are "worldy" days which JWs don't believe in, dodging tax payment whenever they can (taking the WTS lead) and loads of other things.

JW employees are just as bad, taking advantage at every opportunity!

Thankfully I'm not in that situation any more!

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

i must be one of the luckier people alive - i always wanted to work with brothers but never got the chance - i see now how lucky i was ...

• Patriot
    Patriot

I've never worked with Jws but my sister has and because of it she actually quit her job and went to work elswhere.

My sister worked at on of the area hospital in the administration offices. Behind her sat who she described as a "fanatical sister".

My sis tried to keep the fact that she was a witness from her but apparently the Jw found out and made her life a living hell.

This fanatic would talk (counsel what she called it) my sister at the top of her lungs saying things like : " you have to go back to Jehovah, he is the only salvation that you have...do want to die forever?...; When are you going to the meetings?...In John 3:16 it says......"etc.

Point is she would use every waking moment that she had to preach to my sister in a fanatical tone even yelling when my sis would bring up certain issues regarding the WT. My sis said that the Jw lady would even break into a sweat she would talk so loud for so long.

Everyone in the office would just look at them like if both were to blame for the daily scenes. So after about 4 years there she got another job and got the hell away from there.

Mav.-

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey patriot - that was harrassment - your sister could have got her cautioned or sacked even ...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I don't ever remember working for jdubs but I currently work with another ex. He's not a member of this board and never will be. But I will say he's very very difficult to work with. One of the most selfish arrogant men. (Although I'm trying to work on him with the sweet pixi wand of mine! ) Reminds me waay to much of my dad and so many elders I knew of.

Andi

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Over the course of many years I worked with a dozen or so JWs. Never again! I was in a position to have some say on who was hired. At first I thought that “brothers” would be great to work with. Boy was I wrong and for all the reasons listed on this thread.

The WT literature often bragged about what honest hard working people “Gods People” (JWs) were. My experience ran very counter to these claims and that was one of the many things that did not ‘add-up” in my mind, causing me to begin questioning the whole thing.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. It is an important subject for potential recruits to understand (prospective employers too).

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Scully
    Scully

I have worked both "with" and "for" JWs.

I have to say that not every JW has the same work ethic. I was always described as a 'good worker'. I didn't waste time making personal phone calls like my co-worker did, and sometimes I would skip a break, or have lunch at my desk so that my "In" basket stayed under control.

My co-worker, on the other hand, was a pioneer. She would come in late and leave early. If my back was turned, she'd pile her "In" basket stuff into mine. She would make long personal calls. She would sometimes give herself a manicure at the desk.

Another JW co-worker, a male, also a pioneer and elder. Similar work ethic to my co-worker. Personal calls galore. Long lunch breaks thinking he could get some witnessing time in with an unbaptized JW who also worked with us.

My boss was fair. We didn't have to work holidays, and he paid us according to whatever the law stipulated. He was also a hard worker, and put in long hours.

He didn't have the heart to fire my female co-worker because her parents were very close friends of his, and I think he truly felt an obligation to help her out because she was pioneering. He was inactive, and maybe psychologically it soothed his conscience a bit to have some pioneers there, thinking that by giving them jobs he was supporting the preaching work.

He hired another sister, also a long-time friend of his, as the office manager after I had been there for almost 2 years. She went in on a weekend to "orient" herself to where things were. When I came in on Monday morning, I found that she had gone through my desk. I never kept any personal items at work, so she didn't find anything, which I think disappointed her.

When I found another job, following this invasion of privacy, it was with a company that had no JWs in it at all. I'd had enough. The "sister" who had rifled through my desk warned me that 'worldly' companies and bosses would try to take advantage of me, and I was too naive. I thanked her for her 'concern' and also for the very direct lesson of not being able to trust people I worked with.

Of course, I gave my written notice for a certain date (I had given four weeks' notice), and this witch twisted things about and said I had quit effective immediately. She then tried to get me to sign a letter to the effect that I was leaving immediately of my own volition, so that I would not be able to collect Unemployment Benefits, and she with held my severance pay until I filed a complaint with the Labour Relations Board.

I would never work for a JW again. But that's just my experience.

Love, Scully

• ISP
    ISP

JWs are I guess many and varied. I know one at the moment who is an appointed man but nevertheless has ripped someone off for £20,000! Nice eh?

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit