Doesn't an 'allegorical' Garden of Eden nullify the need for a Ransom?

by AK - Jeff 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    I need no saviour sir. Speak for yourself. I really wish christians would do that, they speak on behalf of humankind FAR TOO MUCH & some of us are getting just a little sick of it to be quite honest.

I forgot about you perfect people. This thread isn't about YOU is it? Or is it?

If it makes you feel better, I need a Saviour the most of all men.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I pretty obviously don't believe in christianity & christian ideas of 'perfection' & 'being saved'... so don't you think it's a bit dumb of you to respond to me from the christian perspective? I think you'd have been far better off just ignoring me, since i quite clearly stated how little i appreciate your arrogant & judgemental input.

• sir82
    sir82
    I need a Saviour the most of all men.

Really? You're worse than, say, Osama bin Laden or a psychopathic mass murderer or a Satan-worshipping drug addict?

How do you quantify "need for a savior", anyway? How do you know that you have "more" of it than someone else?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I wasn't writing to you until you responded to me. So I'll take that as a yes. This thread is about you.

... so don't you think it's a bit dumb of you to respond to me from the christian perspective?

No. I'll respond from any "perspective" I choose.

I think you'd have been far better off just ignoring me,

You're the reason I'm here. I'm praying for ya.

since i quite clearly stated how little i appreciate your arrogant & judgemental input.

Look in the mirror

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

sir 82

How do you quantify "need for a savior", anyway? How do you know that you have "more" of it than someone else?

I'm totaly depraved.

• sir82
    sir82

Wow!

Glad you're only on the internet and not my next door neighbor.

So how does your family handle living with the "most" depraved man on the planet?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    So how does your family handle living with the "most" depraved man on the planet?

By the grace of GOD.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Deputy Dog is a troll. Ban him.

Actually no, excommunicate him, let's do it his way.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I don't find all Judeo Christian thought a "fail" unless you need it to be literally true to be beneficial!

What lessons do you learn about humanity and morality and human values from Greek myth, for instance, but is Zeus real? Is Heracles? Is anything in "The Odyssey" real?

Probably not, or it's a legend derived from some compilation and exaggeration of actual events affecting actual people. So is the Bible.

But, why do you think Greek myth or any myth is taught as part of classical education? Why is Judeo Christian thought, for that matter, because at some level it is?

Not only did it effect the way generations and generations of people acted and thought, it still is, for better or worse. But not all of that is bad.

Our law is somewhat based on some Judeo Christian concepts of justice and we believed God was just, and so must we be.

That is useful. It may not be at all true, but until some more factual and equally compelling reason to be just came along, it sufficed. I think we're moving a bit past relying so much on myth of that rather primitive age to base all of our social values on, as some of them are definitely no longer useful.

But, they do have some value because some of Judeo Christian thought is just basic to humanist thought anyway, it's just what we'd do if we treated each other ideally, anyway.

And we will replace old myth with newer, and more useful and relevent ones, because humans do that. We already are, actually. We need our myths, our heroes, our epic stories of good and evil. We just don't need to believe that we're quite as helpless in the face of nature anymore. Because we're a little less so than we were and we definitely understand nature a lot better than we did 2 or 3 thousand years ago.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog is a troll. Ban him.
    Actually no, excommunicate him, let's do it his way.

LOL!!! Praying for someone makes me a troll? Oh well. It won't be the first time I've been "excommunicated", The Catholic Church Anathamatized me years ago before I was born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit