Its Prom Night!

by dissed 22 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

No, not the movie. But my daughters final prom as a high school senior. Although to a JW parent, the real thing could be just a scary as the horror flick. "No daughter of mine is going to no Satanic, worldly, drug abusing, spiked punch, sex dancing-crazy orgy of a prom"

But times have a changed for us. OUR daughter gets to go to hers. And no, its not as bad as the JW's make it out to be. (although some here wish it was) lol

And sure its a big thing for her and her friends as they have been shopping for dresses, doing the hair, make up and nail thingys. We are almost as excited as they are. I even volunteered to be a Chauffer, will even wear a suit (if it still fits) AND my driving cap. "I will do my part to look the part"

And I also want to make sure they arrive everywhere safely. So here is my schedgule.

5:30 = Take them to the restaurant

7:45 - Take them to the dance

12:00 - Take them to the 'after dance' at the VFW building

4:00 AM - Pick them up and take them to Denny's, for the 'after the Prom, after the dance' breakfast.

5:00 AM - Take them home

Building memories outside the WTS is a nice thing for our family. Inside the JW's, many of those memories would never have happened. I'm very happy our family is sharing in this one.

Were you allowed to go to the Proms and school dances? If the answer was yes, what was your experience? Any warnings I should know about.

How did you feel at the time? Was it fair?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I went to my senior prom (1983 Madera, California), even asked a "brother" from the hall I was going to to accompany me. I didn't care if some may have had a problem with it, I wanted to go and I did so. I made my own dress, went to dinner alone with said "brother", danced a lot at the prom and went home when it ended. I had a great time.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Remember Dissed, a discrete chauffeur is a good chauffeur! I hope your daughter has a great time at her prom. I'm sure she will tell you all about it Sunday afternoon, after she gets some rest. It will be a memory for her to treasure.

No, I didn't go to mine--not that I wasn't allowed to, only because I was a geeky teenager, too shy to ask a girl to go with me. Nobody to blame but me!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If you're doing all of the driving, I wouldn't worry about a thing. The schools, at least around here, are very strict on who can attend and what goes on at the prom. My biggest worry for both of our kids was driving late at night. The night of my stepdaughter's prom it was pouring rain, and she insisted on driving by herself and meeting her date there. She wanted to be able to exit quickly if she didn't like it. She wound up staying out until after breakfast in the wee hours of the morning and had a great time. My stepson drove himself and his date, and the worst thing that happened was that a few of the girls gave boob shots to guys on their cell phone cameras. He put them on the family computer, and my husband made him delete them, LOL. Anyway, he also had a good time.

The kids around here usually stay out all night or at least until the wee hours of the morning, and then go to Cedar Point or some other amusement park the next day. Is that what your daughter is doing? If so, are you doing the driving? I worried about them driving their used cars so far from home after being up all night, but everything turned out fine. I'm so glad that we gave our kids everything my husband and I didn't get when we were kids. It's a great feeling!

• asilentone
    asilentone

Well, my parents did forbade me to go to the Prom.

• dissed
    dissed

GL Tirebiter - I get it, KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!!

• dissed
    dissed

Jamie Bowers - They are not going any place special like that. We are in Flagstaff, Az.....not much near here except Meteor Crater or the Grand Canyon.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Hi Dissed, my son is also a senior and will be attending next month. He is going tux shopping next week with his little girlfriend, she already has her dress. They will go to the dinner and dance, then they are coming to our house with a few other friends. They can stay up all night, just glad they will be here. Some of the other parents are coming over for pictures and to socialize after the kids leave. The kids have all promised to call if there has been any drinking and we will pick them up, no questions asked. BTW, they are going to an amusement park the next day, on a bus with the calculus club (how cute is that?)

My son also went to homecoming and had a great time.

Yes, I went to Prom it was the only rebellious thing I did in my life. We had a great time, went to an after prom party at a hotel ( sorry there was no drug induced, devil worshipping, rock and roll lesbian prostitution ring). I think I was in bed by 2am with no harm, still have the cute picture in my 80's style taffeta dress. Glad I rebelled once. NMKA

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Take lots of pictures! Here's a video of my daughter getting ready to go to the prom on a party bus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRY2klafMc

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Hopefully this one is clickable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRY2klafMc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit