Theocratic Terms/Slang - Old and New

by pirata 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pirata
    pirata

At the 2010 "Safeguard your Spirituality", the CO (or DO?) mentioned that there are some theocratic terms that we need to be reminded about. He gave the example of many years ago when we said we were doing "back calls", but now we say we are doing "return visits".

Here's some he mentioned (Bad => Good):

• Blood Card => Medical Directive
    • The Society => The Faithful Slave, The Governing Body, The Watchtower

(It was interesting that he actually explained that, in the past, it actually was fitting to refer to "the society" because the governing body was the board of directors of the society. (He did not mention, though, that pre-mid-1970's the presidents primarily controlled the "spiritual food"))

• DF'd => Disfellowshipped

(So as not to hurt the feelings of those who have disfellowshipped relatives)

Any other theocratic term changes that others can remember?

• minimus
    minimus

I didn't think the Society had a Governing Body. The Society was Russell.

• yknot
    yknot

PO = COBOE

Society= Organization

Bookstudy = Congregational Bible Study

• JWoods
    JWoods

DF'd => Disfellowshipped
    (So as not to hurt the feelings of those who have disfellowshipped relatives")

WTF??? how is spelling it out less insulting than using the initials?

PS - remember "rendezvous for service"? It had to be done away with because "rendezvous" sounded too racy...

• minimus
    minimus

Still, only JWs would use this word and then make it sound dirty.

• pirata
    pirata
    I didn't think the Society had a Governing Body. The Society was Russell.

Technically a "governing body" IS the board of directors of a non-profit society. His statement was technically correct, but was misleading because he implied that the governing body was responsible for providing the spiritual food in the past (pre-mid-70's), when in fact it was the president's.

• pirata
    pirata

Family Study => Family Worship

• sir82
    sir82

Vacation pioneers --> temporary pioneers --> auxiliary pioneers

Approved associate --> unbaptized publisher

• JWoods
    JWoods

The reality in the pre-1975 last few years is that "The Governing Body" was designed to limit the upcoming power of Franz after the death of Knorr.

I have always thought that a number of the upper level at the society knew Freddy was crazy and minimalized him just like he and Knorr had to do with Rutherford years earlier. Freddy didn't like it, either.

Of course, all this special language and changes of special language are the very essence of cult behavior. Correct-speak as per novel 1984.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

My mother told me they don't say "new order" anymore. Don't know what the new term is though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit