My life on the Treadmill

by cult classic 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Thanks for sharing your story, as a born-in I could relate to a lot of what you said.

Congrats on getting out of the Borg.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your short version of your story is beautifully told.

Thanks for sharing. Build your life/home the best you can.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Cult Classic... thank you for sharing your story with us.

was largely the result of being cultivated in an environment that failed to nurture me into a whole human being.

This is what I saw as a teenager. My wake up call was the expectation of all JW women to live in subjugation. I knew I couldn't live this way and I saw what it was doing to my Mom.

I asked my Mom once, why my beautiful cousin was so deeply depressed if she had such a wonderful, joyous hope with Jehovah. I never received an answer. My cousin is still a JW... and still clinically depressed. Her meds really aren't doing much for her. Makes me sad to see this as she is such a lovely person.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Wow, thanks so much for sharing! Your take on having to "set a match to the coccoon" is dead-on.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Treadmill indeed ! ...my thoughts entirely as I was quitting.

Saddens me to see so many young ones today wasting their lives and trusting in a future that is never going to happen...........

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Thanks, cult classic. Treadmill is correct. That's what I still see in my JW extended family. I was a born-in and I relate to much of what you have written especially about not having any other childhood, past or memories that were not JW. But you start building new memories now. Keep posting and reading.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Welcome!

I hope all visiting JWs on this site read your excellent post.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Very good, Classic,,I identified all your process. Was in at 9 yrs old though,,did pioneer 5 yrs,,Bethel 5 yrs ('69-'74),,then left Bethel for family. Becoming a parent started my review of my childhood requirements and experience and what I was going to impose on my children. What conflict I started feeling! It came in phases for me.

Bittersweet, becomes only sweeter. Left organization, phasing/fading out by about '84. Gratefully, my kids feel pretty much JW free, except for some things, like occasional meetings/assemblies and no holidays for some time. Since then, we have pretty much made up for the holidays. With me and my 4 siblings (3 had been at Bethel also), we've had 15 kids, they are all free and have close bonds with each other.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Way to go, Gayle! Congratulations to you and your siblings for creating a real, loving family.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Excellent post, and I relate. I was about 10 when my parents joined the JWs, so I was second thing to being born in.

One good thing is that at least born-ins usually have some practical worldly experience at school and later at work to contrast the JW cult life.

Another important aspect is that probably MOST people coming out of the JWs now are born-ins; anybody else agree with that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit