If still "in", how do you feel when praying in front of a group despite being in doubt of your beliefs?

by Crisis of Conscience 30 Replies latest jw friends

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

This is one time I am glad I am a woman and how in the WTS men trump.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I too, am of the skirt wearing class so I don't get asked to pray in front of others much.

I don't say Amen at the hall to the GB/FDS worshiping prayers, but I do assent to decent prayers by a few of the brothers.

• bigmac
    bigmac

when i was in, i often drew the short straw & had to perform the closing prayer farce. What a shameful nonsense.

what was i praying at ? did this giant invisible vacuum pay any attention?

of course not.

it was all an act to pacify all the barmy " noddy's", the dear old girls who weren't allowed to perform the daft ritual themselves.

thank god i've been out of that crap 30+ years

your turn?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

too, am of the skirt wearing class so I don't get asked to pray in front of others much.

I don't say Amen at the hall to the GB/FDS worshiping prayers, but I do assent to decent prayers by a few of the brothers.

This is my take on it too. Most prayers on behalf of a group are neutral enough that all can usually say amen genuinely. I don't say amen when they mention the GB/FDS either. I'll say amen when a Boeing 747 lands in their building during their weekly meeting.

• simon17
    simon17

It happens to me on rare occassions and there is nothing wrong with giving thanks for various things. I dont know how any one can really disagree with things like "thank you for this food and the fine association we have here. We are really appreciative of our close family and friends and help us always to help one another through whatever trials may befall us" etc etc. You dont have to get all JW in your prayer. Make it what you are sincerely thankful for in life and tag it with "and in Jesus name Amen" and its a perfectly acceptable prayer and I think you will find you can agree with everything said yourself.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Coc, my own position is slightly different having never been a JW.

However, I have had to consider my position around Witnesses, having my Christian faith as I do.

One occasion I was at my JW friend's house and I was invited to stay for a meal. A little later Holy Spirit said to me my friend was going to pray over the meal.

I decided I would consider what was said and if it was OK I would add my "amen". As it was, my friend's prayer was address to "Father" so I felt more comfortable all round, my prayer was to my own Heavenly Father so I had no issue with adding my agreement.

I was invited to "the memorial" once. I told my friend I wouldn't be passing on the bread and wine without taking Jesus' sacrifice. Also, I considered what lyrics I would add my agreement to by singing. I decided I would substitute the "jehovah" lyrics for "Jesus" and likewise with my prayers, pray to my own Lord and God, not the WT's.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Ri
    Ri

I never was good at praying out loud...so I avoid praying in a crowd

• undercover
    undercover
    I dont know how any one can really disagree with things like "thank you for this food and the fine association we have here. We are really appreciative of our close family and friends and help us always to help one another through whatever trials may befall us" etc etc. You dont have to get all JW in your prayer. Make it what you are sincerely thankful for in life and tag it with "and in Jesus name Amen" and its a perfectly acceptable prayer and I think you will find you can agree with everything said yourself.

"Dear God, we paid for this food - so thanks for nothing."

"Amen."

• Open mind
    Open mind

Public prayer is a "privilege" I'm very glad to be rid of now that I'm just a flaky, R&F occasional meeting attender.

Whenever we do attend a meeting though, I make sure to honor my long-time DFed, gay, brother, by saying a loud, hearty, "Gaymen!" at the end of the prayer.

Try it some time just for the LULZ.

om

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ simon17 - I do agree that there are many things for which we could be thankful. I just, at this point, am not sure if prayer is the necessary way to express it. Why not thank someone personally, that can respond personally, with a voice, or by action?

I'm still in the process of figuring out what God is really about. I believe in a creator. But as far as him responding to our petitions, I just don't think there is 100% evidence to prove it.

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit