If still "in", how do you feel when praying in front of a group despite being in doubt of your beliefs?

by Crisis of Conscience 30 Replies latest jw friends

• poor places
    poor places

Yeah, praying in public is a tough one. Although I only have to say public prayers on rare occasions, it still happens every couple of months or so. I feel somewhat hypocritical, since I'm praying for people who have no idea how I really feel. On the other hand, I don't feel terrible, because it's not like I refuse to believe in God at this point; I just don't have any idea if he exists or not. So I make my prayers as generic as I can: thanks for letting us be here today, please help us to pay attention, let your holy spirit be with us, etc. The only trouble is that I end up giving the most boring and least heartfelt prayers imaginable; I'd like to do better, but pretty much can't.

• Think About It
    Think About It

In 55 years; I have never been 'good enough' (qualified) to pray in front of anybody!

Count your blessings Lucky Dog. Public prayer was my least favorite "privilege". There was always the pressure to sound pious & spiritual, instead of just genuine from the heart. You had to throw in the WTS buzz words and include the GB, F&DS and the Org, if you wanted to be in the Theocratic clique.

Think About It

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That sxxx actually happened to me during my last year. I was going out in field circus my one hour for the month (and didn't want to), and got called on to say the prayer. It was not what I wanted to do--and it was a wimpy prayer. Fact is, I just wanted to pray "Dear Satan, Prince of Darkness, please cause this work to come to a screeching halt and for everyone in the cancer to succumb to temptation and get disfellowshipped this coming Tuesday night".

• Room 215
    Room 215

I'm sure one can articulate a prayer in good conscience without making reference to the "faithful and discreet slave," "governing body," "closeness of The End" or any dubious WT tenet he/she considers offensive or adulatory.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

WTWizard this-- "Dear Satan, Prince of Darkness, please cause this work to come to a screeching halt and for everyone in the cancer to succumb to temptation and get disfellowshipped this coming Tuesday night". is the best prayer EVER. Maybe if you decide to DA you should give this prayer and go out in style. lol.

If you do, please let me know so that I can attend that meeting. hahahaha

• pirata
    pirata

I keep them bible-based and free of doctrine that the Bible does not clearly teach.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Being a woman, my opportunities to pray in front of a group would be almost nonexistent.

Yep...As long as there is a snotty nosed 11 year old "baptized boy" available for field service meeting you will never get to pray.

Don't forget to bring a napkin for a head covering just in case he is busy at home playing WOW and then you can take the lead....

• yknot
    yknot

LOLz Blondie and Poztate... !!!!

....... I am in the same boat as Blondie......

I haven't managed yet to dig that tiny scarf out of my bookbag yet.......( I should, it is a really nice silk)

Don't feel bad CoC....... truth about the troof tends to set parts of our minds free pretty quickly and the game becomes obvious

• AGuest
    AGuest
    praying in public is a tough one.

It should be, dear Poor Places (may you have peace!):

“Also, when YOU pray, YOU must not be as the hypocrites; because they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the broad ways to be visible to men. Truly I say to YOU , They are having their reward in full. 6 You, however, when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you." Matthew 6:5, 6

Think about it (sorry, dear Think About It but, again, I couldn't resist).

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I was away recently and was asked to pray before a small group. I couldn't really say no since there were only 2 other brothers and they had had their turn already with the other meals. Boy did it feel weird. And I really felt inside, "This really doesn't mean anything. If they only knew."

Oh well. Life goes on and so do I - undercover. Until the day.

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit