The Great Apostasy

by TTWSYF 13 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

"the false teachings had to be weeded out."

But who is to determine whether a spiritual teaching can be labeled "true" or "false"? The WT calls all religions except their own "false". To me, the term "false religion" is like calling a painting you don't like "incorrect art". Art is subjective and can't be labeled "correct" or "incorrect". The terms simply don't apply. If faith could be labeled "true" or "false" it wouldn't be called "faith" - it would be called "science".

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Like you said Agonus 'who is to determine whether a spiritual teaching can be labeled true or false'?

That is where faith comes in. I believe the Holy Ghost is the one who determined the biblical truth, but admittedly, that is my faith, not science.

dc

• agonus
    agonus

"That is where faith comes in."

On that we can agree. I have a faith of my own, though it's a little nebulous at this point. However, I would never insist that my faith - whatever it may be - is the "right" one.

• Quentin
    Quentin

" I think proto-Christianity was fairly elastic - definitely not a "religion" in the sense of what we would call "religious"." agonus

Jesus did not start a church/religion...what he said, taught, eventualy became one...by the time Paul began his travels there were hundreds of small groups that identified with "The Christ(Jesus)". The idea a church sprang "full blown" from Jesus is absurd...it was three or four hundred years before an orthodox "church" began to take shape. There were many different versions...some we know of, some, lost in time, we don't....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit