Geocaching...new hobby

by LB 11 Replies latest social physical

• LB
    LB

This is a fun activity and I suppose I'm the only one around here that does this. It involves a gps unit, the internet and good hiking shoes. You can find lots of info at www.geocaching.com and see if there are any caches in your area.

Basically you look for a cache according to your zip code, then write down the coordinates and find it using your gps unit. When finding it you open the cache, remove something, put something back in and log your visit both in the logbook and on the internet.

Here's me after finding a cache....

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Seems long on hunting, short on gathering.

• LB
    LB

Very true, and the gathering isn't anything special. Just trinkets. But geeks love this game. I find find a watchtower in one cache though, it was promptly disposed of.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I read about this somewhere. It sounds like fun.

Slipnslidemaster:"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

What have you found in the boxes, and what do you put in??

closer

• LB
    LB

Usually you dont' find much. The game is mostly played for the challenge of locating something. I've found small toys, salt and pepper shakers, a telephone, almost anything is possible. I put one cache out where there was nothing in it but old videos, and I asked that people replace the video with one of their own.

Actually a lot of people stash caches with junk from a dollar store, and that's what I normally put in one.

• Simon
    Simon

It does actually look like fun and I suppose get's you out in the fresh air with a 'purpose' (I find it hard to walk far without something to aim for)

I'd be more impressed if you did it without a GPS though

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

So with the video one, the people knew ahead of time what was in your box?

closer

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

LB,

I've never heard of this before, but checked the site and found more than a dozen caches listed for our area...and in some visually/physically appealing locations. So, I think it looks like fun, sort of an updated version of 'treasure hunt.' Will at least give it a try. Thanks for the info.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it....

http://www.geocaching.com

closer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit