Does anyone else feel like an alien?

by bluecanary 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

You guys remember the show Third Rock from the Sun? If you don't, a group of aliens take on human bodies and pose as a family on earth. They try to fit in but get things wrong and hilarity ensues.

Yesterday my family celebrated Easter. No, we are not Christian. Yes, we were a week late (that's when my brother could be here). Mother bought a bunch of egg dying paraphanalia and hard boiled two dozen eggs. Shortly before bed last night we finally got around to doing something with this stuff. We pulled everything out of the packaging: dyes, sparkles, cups, beads, stickers, paints, the whole shebang. It all looked very pretty.

We looked back and forth from the art supplies to the eggs and declared in unison that it had been fun, but we were done with Easter. Let's pack everything up for next year.

We laughed so hard. I felt just like the aliens, thinking, "Is this what humans do every year?" Non-JW culture can be so funny when you don't know what you're doing.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

wait until Christmas!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Like this guy, I put up with them humans.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/

In fact, I contributed some of my childhood experiences to this book (The Martian in the Playground):

http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Playground-Understanding-Schoolchild-Aspergers/dp/1873942087

• trueblue
    trueblue

Sense you brought up the show "Third Rock from the Sun" I had to find this video. The full show with starring William Shatner has got to be the funniest Third Rock from the Sun show ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiGjPgOr4ek

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I still feel like an alien around Easter. I do much better with Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• lesabre
    lesabre

i feel like an alien every day. just having real friends is a weird thing for me!!

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

My wife feels like an alien everyday..............

because she is an illegal alien.

oh shut up that was funny...

• Scottiebear7
    Scottiebear7

If its any consolation, I always felt like an outsider at the "get-togethers" I attended with my wife and step-daughter, since I was the only non-JW attending. Same thing when going over to dinner at a "friend's" house. The talk was always about what happened in service, what convention/special day was coming up, who was a great speaker at sunday's meeting, etc..

Of course, there was always feeling like an alien in my own house. No birthdays, holidays, etc., even though technically I'm still a Lutheran. I didn't see the celebration part as a huge sacrifice though, since it was mainly about family getting together and having a good time. So, my advice is that if you don't focus on the "fluff" part of the holidays, and just enjoy your family's company, then you are on the right path. The fluff part, such as doing Easter Eggs, Christmas trees, etc., are just fun things to do together.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I always remind my friends how strange their human festivities are. I was Marilyn in the Munsters growing up. Still am but I like me.

• peaches
    peaches

feel like an alien???? i am 100% alien....gotta go,,,,have to make some more crop circles......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit